Restricting issue creation of certain issue types based on user project role / group

Martin Cerny June 14, 2018

Hello,
I have two roles in Jira system (developers, testers). I want testers can only create/edit/view/delete bug issue type (other issue type i.e. user story they can view only). Is it possible in Jira v7.8? How can I set it up easily?

Thank you

8 answers

6 votes
Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

Hi Martin,

I solved this issue using Script runner's behavior, used below code in initializer and it showed Issuetypes based on logged in user, you can validate user against project roles or even groups

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.security.roles.ProjectRoleManager

import static com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.ISSUE_TYPE

def projectRoleManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(ProjectRoleManager)
def allIssueTypes = ComponentAccessor.constantsManager.allIssueTypeObjects

def user = ComponentAccessor.jiraAuthenticationContext.loggedInUser
def issueTypeField = getFieldById(ISSUE_TYPE)
def availableIssueTypes = []

//use this def and if code to check project roles
/*def remoteUsersRoles = projectRoleManager.getProjectRoles(user, issueContext.projectObject)*.name

if ("Testers" in remoteUsersRoles)
{
availableIssueTypes.addAll(allIssueTypes.findAll { it.name in ["Task", "Experiment"] })
}
*/

//use this def and if code to check groups
def remoteUsersRoles = ComponentAccessor.getGroupManager().isUserInGroup(user, "jira-administrators")
if (remoteUsersRoles) {
availableIssueTypes.addAll(allIssueTypes.findAll { it.name in ["Task", "Experiment"] })
}

else {
availableIssueTypes.addAll(allIssueTypes.findAll { it.name in ["Task"] })
}

issueTypeField.setFieldOptions(availableIssueTypes)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Priyanka

Alex Gallien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2019

Not the OP, but this was super helpful to us at Airbnb today! Thank you for sharing, saved us the time of figuring it out ourselves :)

Like # people like this
Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2019

Happy to know it helped :)

siva September 16, 2019

@Priyanka Lavania 

Hi Priyanka,

this was working fine,

My task is to restrict specific users in groups restricted from creating certain issue types

EX: STORY

for a specific PROJECT.

any suggestions or extension of the script ??

Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2019

Hi Siva,

Glad to know its working for you, when you define the behaviour you can select specific project, it allows project and issuetype mapping. Try it out and let me know.

Regards,

Priyanka

Like siva likes this
siva September 20, 2019

@Priyanka Lavania 

done with that , works great.

just need a script from you as im not a good judge of scrips.

need to update EPIC end date with the end date of the STORY in the EPIC at the time of resolving.

( this should happen only  if the story is the last in the epic)

Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

Hi Siva,

I think I missed your comment, I am able to do something similar with Tasks and sub tasks, that the parent task should be auto closed when last sub task is closed, this can be done using the combination of workflow transition and condition, let me know if you still need this, will try to tweak my current code and post.

Regards,

Priyanka

Fabio Manzoni October 4, 2021

Hi @Priyanka Lavania

Your code work properly for Epic, Story or any standard issue type, but not for subtasks. Do you have any example of code for Subtasks?

Thanks, 

Fabio 

Tomáš February 1, 2022

Exactly what i was looking for. Thank you saved me a lot of time :)

Like Priyanka Lavania likes this
2 votes
Muhammad Akram Sharifi June 1, 2023

anyone know how to restrict a user from creating some issue type of the project in jira cloud??

2 votes
Mark Markov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2018
Mark Markov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Hi @Martin Cerny

You can restrict edit action to groups with workflow status properties.

Check this article:

https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Like Javier Vidal likes this
0 votes
Punit Swami March 15, 2022

Hello @Martin Cerny 

This used for disable issue type. for this you can use this code in the Jython script 

===========================================================

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
from com.atlassian.jira.component import ComponentAccessor

if issue.getIssueTypeObject().getName() == "Issue type name":
description = 'This issuetypes can no longer be created. Please use a different Issue Type.'
result = False

============================================================

0 votes
Martin Cerny June 21, 2018

Thank you for tips. I am now able to restrict create action for ceratin issue type for not admin users (I not sure if the below works for specific user group, but it is fine for me now).

• I cloned existing workflow
  • In validator on the "create" transition i did:
    • deleted: Only users with Create Issues permission can execute this transition.
    • added: Only users with Administer Projects permission can execute this transition
  • I assigned new workflow for issue types where I wanted to restrict create action
  • I unassigned issue type where I wanted to restrict create action from original workflow

But how to restrict edit action? The process above cannot be applied. Any hint?

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2018

As mentioned above, you can use Issue Security Schemes to prevent certain groups of users from viewing issues.  You need to set Issue Security level on each issue.

This however doesn't prevent any users from creating issues.  For this you could add a validator on the 'create' transition in the workflow, to check the user is in the required project role.

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2018

Hey,

Check it here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Restricting-issue-creation-of-certain-Issue-Types-based-on-user/qaq-p/701283

You can also use the script in a postfunction on Create transition. Script will check the user if it belongs to particular group or role and set the Issue Type values.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2018

HI @Martin Cerny

Actually, we can not control on basis of issue type in Jira. permission scheme will apply for all the issue type.

I don't think so this will be possible.

As reference documents were given by @Mark Markov which is related to issue security level but not the restricting to create/edit/delete issue in jira.

Issue security levels are created within issue security schemes and let you control which user or group of users can view an issue.

Suggest an answer