Parent field for linking sub-tasks to Story/Task

Randy_Elias August 2, 2017

Hi All,

I have a situation where I want to import a massive set of sub-tasks (via CSV file) into JIRA. During the import I'd like to link each sub-task to an existing standard issue (story/task). Is there a field in the sub-task similar to the "Epic Link" field for story/task?

For various reasons, I need to use story/task as the parent issue.

Thanks,

Randy

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Yes, it's doable, you add a column for issue id and add the existing issueKey in CSV so that while importing the issues, all the issues become sub-tasks for the existing issue.

Possible duplicate - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/CSV-Importing-of-sub-tasks-and-linking-to-existing-Story/qaq-p/224226

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for the tip!

I was able to successfully upload the CSV using an empty Issue Id field and parent Id (issue key of parent story). I confirmed it created the subtask under the story as needed. 

However, I got the following errors after the import:

Import completed with 14 errors:

Error importing issue [externalId='autoid-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', summary='null']

Any ideas what these errors mean?

Thanks,

Randy

Please disregard. 

I had extra junkin the CSV file that caused the errors!

Thanks,

Randy

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Please accept/upvote the answer if it works for you. thanks.

Ramaiah Pendli September 7, 2017

while csv import, can you fill below deatails to link as task to sub-task. make sure add details for task and sub-task as well.

Summary, Issue key, Issue id, Parent id, Issue Type, Project key, Project name, Project type

Prateek Yadav April 10, 2019

Any idea how to do this if I have both Parent(Story) and Child ticket(Task) already created in JIRA?

P.S. - Mapping Issue ID, Parent ID and Issue Type doesn't work

Nina Marshall August 28, 2020

Is there an answer how to get the sub-tasks linked to parent ticket in the releases view?

0 votes
Yuta Nagano February 6, 2023

@Tarun Sapra and @Randy_Elias I tried the method you described above and I couldn't get my sub-tasks to link to their parent tasks. I added a new column labeled, "Parent Link" since their is a field called Parent Link that you can import to when importing a CSV file of tasks. In that new Parent Link column I added I typed in the story ID for each one. However, there is no association being created... I think I am misunderstanding the instructions above as well as the instructions referenced in the answer from Tarun. My apologies! Is there a screenshot you can share?

Here is a screenshot of my file:

Parent Link.png

Suggest an answer