Outlook Conversation Grouping "Re " prefix not working

Hunter1428 July 18, 2020

Hey all,

I'm trying to get emails sent via the Jira Automation addon to group males in outlook. I understand this is an Outlook / Email Box thing.

A lot of people said to use the prefix "Re " in front of the subject (where the subject does not change) for all messages, but I cannot get this to work at all. I keep getting separate mails :(

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2020

For threading Outlook (and other mail clients) usually rely on the "in-reply-to" or "References" headers. These are added by the client when replying to a mail so that it maintains threading. It adds msgid's of previous mails in the thread

Since Jira automation has no access to any of the msg of the previous mails, it can't add that header/ So threading wont work.

Sorry.

Jira does store some msgid related to an issue somewhere because messages that it sends out get threading information. But I dont know where that it stored or how to access it to put it in a header of mail sent from automation even if I did.

Hunter1428 July 23, 2020

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the information, this helped me find a lot more details on this topic with the key words you mentioned!

I still have not manged to come up with anything but this has made me reevaluate the direction I wanted to go in and try and come up with a better solution.

Thanks

Like Andrew Laden likes this
Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2022

actually it does work Andrew is mistaken.

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2022

I guarantee you it does not. Jira does not associate mail by subject except if there is an issue key in the subject. You are probably seeing your mails get attached based on a mail header as I explained.

Try the following

Create a mail to jira with a subject of "Test 1" It should create a new ticket.

Then create another brand new mail (not a reply or forward) with a subject of "RE: Test 1"

See if the 2nd email gets added to the ticket created by the first mail

You don't want "RE:" based threading to work.

Try this experiment

Send another brand new email with the same subject of "Test 1". Should generate another ticket.

Now send another brand new email with the subject of "RE: Test 1"

Tell me, which ticket should that mail get appended to? How is jira supposed to know if you are referring to the first "Test 1" or the 2nd. It can't. That is why you don't want to try to attach tickets based on subject lines.

(Ok, for you advanced pedantics out there. If you are using something like JEMH it is possible to create a profile that would allow threading by mail subject. But don't do it.)

Suggest an answer