Order by Priority vs. Rank in Kanban Board with Backlog

I have a Kanban board, not Scrum board with Sprints.

I have the backlog enabled (so all To Do are in the backlog section).

I had Priority enabled by default in the Issue Detail View (offering options like Low, Medium, High etc) but not Rank. I enabled Rank and see each story/task has some useless Rank like "0|i000ef:". However, I see that the default filter for my Board is: project = FP ORDER BY Rank ASC. So first question - what is the Rank in my case?

I would like all issues in the mentioned backlog to be ordered by priority, and only stories. So I would rather use Priority. I created a Quick Filter: project = PROJECTNAME AND issuetype = Story ORDER BY Rank DESC but when I changed one of the priorities to 'Highest" it didn't appear on top of the backlog list.

What do I need to do?

1 answer

0 vote

The rank field is a "lexorank" trick, you are not expected to put it on a screen because it's not really human-readable.  You are expected to sort or order by it and to adjust it by ranking issues higher or lower than others, but seeing it directly isn't helpful to humans. 

The data you're seeing on screen there (the 0|i000ef:) is a piece of data that says "I'm here in the order so you can compare me with others", so to answer the question "what is the rank", it really is "0|i000ef:".  It's not much use on its own, it only makes sense when comparing it with other ranks.

When you order by priority, you have to remember that there are only a few priorities on the list.  If you've got 60 issues with "highest", a new one may not be at the "top" of that group because it's got the same value as the other 60

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

135 views 1 17
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you