One issue in two projects

Lukáš Egrmaier January 22, 2019

Hello,

is it possible to have one issue in two different projects, in which one project is in Jira Service Desk and the other in Jira?

Our vision is that we've got one issue in Jira Service Desk, but sometimes we want this issue to be visible in Jira (both Jira Service Desk and Jira are linked together).

I've tried linking it, but there's the need to be linked to a existing issue.

Ideally, we want to have a option in Jira Service Desk that will make the same issue, or copy in Jira.

Thank you for your advice
Lukas

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Hello @Lukáš Egrmaier

it is not possible to have the same issue in two different projects. 

However you can use a post-function in your WF that copies this issue into another project and links them together. Or you can copy it manually if needed. 

Best regards,

Jakub 

Thank you @Jakub Hanak, this looks promising. But I can't find anything in the post-function to "make a copy" or this sort of thing.

Can you guide me on how to do this?

Thank you
Lukas

Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

You need a ScriptRunner for that, do you use this add-on? If so, in Post-function choose Script Post-Function and then choose Clone and Link bulit-in script. 

Unfortunately, no. But I see that lot of cool things in Jira require this add-on.

Like knedlik likes this
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

Yes, this is one of the most powerfull one that you can have, I can strongly recommend to consider getting one for yourself. With that add-on you can do many things that JIRA itself cannot do and it could save you lot of time. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

Hi @Lukáš Egrmaier

In service desk you can create linked issues. https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/blog/2016/02/create-linked-issue

Unfortunately you can't have the same issue in multiple projects, you will need to have individual issues in each project.

Hope this helps!

1 vote
SDevisetty February 22, 2023

Yes, we can achieve this using below steps.

1. Say Project 1 and Project 2

2. Pick any ticket from Project 2 and add a label to it. Say label = Devops.

3. Now, go to Board Settings under Project 1, go to General and then Edit Filter Query as "project = Project 1 OR project = Project 2 AND labels = DevOps ORDER BY Rank ASC"

4. Boom! Now, you can see the ticket from Project 2 under Project 1 as well.

Hope this helps!

Michael Parsons September 26, 2023

LOL it's been doing my head in that I keep reading "it's impossible for an issue to span projects"... yet we do that often at my work! For example, if an issue is identified in an Incidents project, then picked up by a team in their Project for a Sprint... it's visible in both (using a filter like this).

Is the problem that a limitation has been removed and old advice lives forever, or is there a nuance which makes the advice unclear, or am I missing something important?

0 votes
robiert January 22, 2019

HI @Lukáš Egrmaier,

you can modify the filter in a board to get issues from a Service Desk Project and from a Jira Project. The JQL should look something like this:

"project in ("Service Desk Project", "The Jira Project")"

so, in that Board you will allocate issues from Service Desk and from the Jira Project. You should make sure that both projects have similars workflows and that the board has columns that match the workflows' statuses. 

Last but not least, who is working on that Board should have Jira Software License and a Service Desk License in order to work in the Jira's issues and Service Desk's issues.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Robiert

I'm trying to do this, but I'm not able to find the project from different Jira. In the developers tool in Chrome it shows "jqlTooComplex" and that to key for project doesn't exist.

Did someone came across same behaviour?

Thank you

Suggest an answer