OKTA SAML SSO : Updating attributes in JIRA on user login

Brijesh Patel June 19, 2020

Hello All,

I have OKTA SSO SAML setup where users are able to successfully login. But when I test to see the update of attributes (e.i email, full name, first and last name), the update is not happening. 

I am doing following mapping from Okta SSO configuration for sending attributes to JIRA (as additional attributes):

JIRA attribute name        OKTA name

givenname                      user first name

surname                          user last name

fullName                         user first name + " " + user last name

Email                               user email

Are the attribute names above correct for mapping okta attributes to their corresponding attributes in the JIRA ? 

Thanks! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brijesh Patel September 29, 2020

Answering myself: The functionality doesn't exist. There is only a non-JIT SAML setup available for JIRA at this point.

Thanks! 

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2020

Hi @Brijesh Patel you stand correct. You would have to add a 3rd-party plugin like our SAML SSO for Jira to do this. You can still authenticate users with Okta's free connector and let our application do the attribute updates for you, in which case you can also purchase the User Sync app separately for a fraction of the price.

Disclaimer: I work for Resolution, the vendor behind SAML SSO for Jira. Our SSO apps are the most reviewed & most installed in the marketplace by far.

I wrote an article on this use case not long ago: https://www.resolution.de/post/combining-the-okta-api-with-saml-for-authenticating-and-provisioning-atlassian-applications

Like Eva Fernandez likes this
Eva Fernandez January 14, 2022

Hello Capi,

We want some attributes of okta: department, manager to be seen in jira in the properties of the users. This is possible?

Thank you!

kaushal shah January 14, 2022

Hi @Eva Fernandez ,

You can use the miniOrange SAML SSO plugin which has the feature to fetch different user attributes like phone, department, manager, etc from Okta into Jira which can be seen in the properties of the users.

For more info, you can take a look at this document - https://developers.miniorange.com/docs/atlassian/saml-sso/user-profile#custom-attribute

P.S. - I work for miniOrange, you can reach out to us at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com or raise a ticket here.

Thanks,
Kaushal

Hello kaushal shah,

Do you know if these attribute values that miniorange gets from okta are passed to Jira on the properties of the users?

Thanks!

kaushal shah January 14, 2022

Hi @Eva Fernandez ,

Yes, they do get added to the user properties section of Jira, and are visible on the user profile. (refer to the below image)

image.png 

It would be great if you can reach out to us at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com, we would be able to assist you in a better way.

Thanks,
Kaushal

oh !! just that is what we need.
And there is no way to do it from okta provisioning? If or if you have to use this tool or another?

I will review it, the problem will be the cost and I do not know what else it can contribute.

Thanks,

0 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Eva Fernandez!

Jira native user properties are quite limited, as you may know. If you want to expand what they can capture, you can use Communardo User Profiles for Jira.

If you choose this app, we have an integration with them so anything that comes from Okta can be mapped to the user profile. You can follow the step by step guide here

Oh! Thank you Capi!.

But the only thing we want to capture are the OKTA properties: Manager and Department
Do you know if these two properties can be transferred to Jira without the need for a plugin?

Thanks a thousand!

He checked the plugin and we have a cloud version.

Like Capi [resolution] likes this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
January 14, 2022

Got you! In that case you'll have to resort to a different alternative, as our user management products are only available for Server and Data Center.

Like Eva Fernandez likes this

Suggest an answer