Notifications sent to "anonymous" users emailing in issues to JIRA

Dan Hartnack March 27, 2012

I am trying to set up JIRA to accept emails to create an issue. I have the 'anonymous' users sending an email to a distribution group that then creates the ticket in JIRA. I want this to send an email back to the original sender. Is this possible?

Ex.

User A sends email to 123@abc.com. 123@abc.com is set up to create a JIRA ticket though email. How does User A get notified if their ticket is created or worked on?

parameters used:

project=SUPPORTABC, issuetype=1, reporterusername=abc, createuser=false

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2012
I think what you want cannot simply be done with your current mail handler configuration. As a simple rule n Jira's otification concept only emails to users registered in Jira are sent. There is just one exception for mail addresses explicitely defined in the notification scheme. So you achieve what you want only if you let the mail handler automatically create the users or somehow else make sure the users are already registered, e.g. having all users in a LDAP. Now as another rule in Jira users will only get notifications about an issue if they have browse permission. This is usually achieved by granting browse permission to the reporter which would mean in your current configuration only abc and other users configured for browse permission will get emails. I think you should find a way to create your users in Jira before they start sending mails or let Jira create them so you can use the sender as reporter of the issue.

Suggest an answer