Notifications are not sent (default notification scheme is set, test email sending succeeds)

Erik Schmidt May 1, 2012

I am using the OnDemand solution for JIRA and Confluence.

Several users exist.

The default notification scheme is assigned to the project in question.

Test emails from Administration > Mail > Send E-Mail are received successfully.

BUT:

After creating a new issue or modifying an existing issue or adding a comment, no notifications are sent.

I have searched for answers here, but have found none that solves my problem.

6 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Charles Street July 10, 2012

Hi,

Also look for the 'User Preferences' menu option under the 'User's' tab.

Make sure this is set to 'Notify users of their own changes' = YES'. Took me a while to find this one.

Jose Luis Casarrubias July 17, 2020

work like a charm

2 votes
Erik Schmidt May 5, 2012

Update:

I realized that it has to do with the "My Changes" setting in the Admin-profile. Once this was changed to "Notify me", the emails were sent to the Admin as well.

I was wanting and expecting emails to the admin for any new issue, even when created by the admin.

2 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2012

Check that the users who were to receive the notifications have the "Browse Project" permission. If they don't Jira will not send them notifications regarding issues they cannot see.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

HTH

Erik Schmidt May 1, 2012

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that restriction, but the users already have the "Browse Project" permission (and are in the group/role that should get notifications).

Quote from your link:

• Email notifications will only be sent to people who have permission to view the relevant issue — that is, people who:

There is no Issue security level in place, so that should as well not be a restriction.

Erik Schmidt May 2, 2012

Update:

The email notifications are now sent to the specific group. I am not aware of any changes I made.
However, the Administrator does not receive the notifications, even though he is a member of the group that should receive notifications (=developers). Any suggestions?

1 vote
Omid H_ April 29, 2020

No we have the same issue. Accidentally it happen in Jira 8.5.3. 

Omid H_ April 29, 2020

We disabled the "batching email notifications" it works. If we enable it, it does not :S 

1 vote
Erik Schmidt July 6, 2012

You beat me to that one, glad you found the solution.

Yes, notification schemes have to be set explicitly!

0 votes
Horst Hein July 4, 2012

I have the same issue here, but I do not understand what you have done for a solution for the "normal" users.

Did you find out what actually fixed the problem?

Horst Hein July 4, 2012

I have found it, It s at the end of this one:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/36348/email-jira-not-sending-email-when-trying-to-test-email

projects do have notification-scheme=none by default.

This is not what anyone would expect.

Suggest an answer