Not receiving email notifications

lintek214 February 4, 2024

I know this question has been asked a thousand times. Every answer I've read has not resolved my problem. I can't get the notifications to come to my Jira Cloud account's email address. It may be because is see this jira@username.atlassian.net address assigned to my project's notification setting. I guess this is supposed to link to my real email address username@hiotmail.com, but it's not working. I not been able to find where the disconnect is.

Can this be fixed?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2024

Hi @lintek214 I found your email address was being suppressed on our side. I have removed it from that list.  Unfortunately, we can't see the initial message that bounced from your SMTP mail server.  But typically this happens because the destination mail server responses with a 500 level error that indicates the account is invalid/suspended/not found.

See if you receive a notification now.

lintek214 February 6, 2024

I just remembered; I have two free Jira Cloud accounts. One as the admin user using the @hotmail.com address and the other as the basic user using the @Gmail.com address.

In addition to what you said Andy, I hit the send notification limit because I'm using the free Jira Cloud. Everything seems to be working now. Thx

lintek214 February 6, 2024

One sad part about the limit. I think it allows less than 20 in one day. :-(

0 votes
Brahmani Nukala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 29, 2024

I am not getting jira updates on my mail when my team tags me any issue or mention on any issue. I did check with my admin regarding this and we found no solution, can some one help me here

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2024

Hi @Brahmani Nukala 

There was a suppression on your account.  I have cleared this for your account and any other users on your domain.

Like Brahmani Nukala likes this
0 votes
Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2024

Hello, Good day. Please refer the following link to configure from address for Jira cloud notification. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain/

lintek214 February 5, 2024

Yes, I tried that, but I can't change the domain. That's the problem. The edit is in two separate boxes and the domain box is greyed out and defaults to @<username>.atlassian.net

Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2024

From admin.atlassian.com >> Settings >> Emails. Do you see the from email address already added ?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.21.01 PM.png

Ok, I added the @hotmail.com domain. Atlassian is doing some type of verification. So, when this is done, I then go back to my project settings, and I should see an additional box with the @hotmail.com domain which I can add the address and make it my default notification email?

The instructions did not fix my problem. I discovered the jira@<mysite>.atlassian.net is the "sender" address. Having it set in the project settings is correct. I ran the notification helper, and it reports my email notifications are being successfully sent to my user@hotmail.com address.

I don't know why I did this, but I sent an invite to one of my Gmail addresses. I did not use the address to accept the invite. However, I opened one of my issues and made some edits. And would you believe it. A notification was sent to the Gmail address. But not to the Hotmail address. It's the Hotmail address which is the account owner and site administrator. What and where is the disconnect here?

Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2024

Got it. The issue is specific to the hotmail email address. Please raise a ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ we can check the email logs.

Since I'm working with a free Jira Cloud account, I'm unable to open a ticket. I'm only directed to report my problem here in the Atlassian Community.

thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events