Need to remove "Clone-" prefix from many subtasks

DS June 18, 2021

I recently created many clones of stories and now all of my cloned subtasks say "Clone-" as a prefix to the subtask. Is there any way to remove this prefix from all the subtasks at once? Right now im going through and deleting the prefix manually but I have hundreds of subtasks that this needs to be done too.

7 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2021

Hi @DS -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You may do this with an automation for Jira (A4J) rule to remove that prefix.  Your project admin will need to create the rule.  Here is an example of such a rule:

• Trigger: scheduled for JQL of: summary ~ "CLONE"
  • Action: edit issue fields for summary, setting the value to {{issue.summary.substringAfter("CLONE - ")}}

I recommend validating this rule in a test project to see that it does what you wish first, and then add it to your project.

Automation rules can only process up to 100 issues at a time, so I selected a scheduled trigger as that can be run repeatedly, manually.  Once you have processed all of the issues, you may disable the rule.

To learn more about automation rules, please look here:

Best regards,

Bill

DS June 22, 2021

Thanks Bill, that definitely seems like the best way to go about this. However, when I tried to create a rule it seems to fail with the error of:

"Action details:

Edit Issue

Error editing issuesDIL-5 (You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)), DIL-6 (You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)), DIL-3 (You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)), DIL-7 (You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)), DIL-4 (You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary))"

Do you know what I'm doing wrong here? Your help is greatly appreciated!Project automation - Jira 2021-06-22 14-52-33.pngProject automation - Jira 2021-06-22 14-53-27.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

That is curious... That seems to behave as if issues are being found without "CLONE", and/or issues are being processed multiple times, and/or there is a timing issue.

Would you please post an image of your complete rule and of an execution from the audit log?

After that, please try to write the modified summary to the audit log rather than editing the issue.  That may help reveal what is happening.

Thanks!

DS June 23, 2021

Actually, after testing your example on the main project im working on, It seems to have worked perfectly . However, in my test project environment, i had to use this value:

{{issue.summary.substringAfter("CLONE - ")}} {{issue.summary.substringAfter("- ")}}

in the edit issue Summary field to get it working. Not sure if i set something up wrong in my test environment but all is working now. Thanks for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Sam Greilick November 4, 2022

Thanks! Exactly what I needed!

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

@DS 

Welcome to the community.

You could do that with an Automation rule that uses a manual trigger.

Action would be Edit Issue Field. You could use Advanced Edit with JSON and smart values to reset the value of the field to its string minus the "Clone-" text.

References:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-field-editing-json/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-text-fields/

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2021

Hi, Trudy!

I suggested a scheduled rather than a manual trigger for this rule (when using JQL for a batch) as manual rules auto-magically exclude the trigger issue key from the JQL behind the scenes.  Same thing for branch JQL.  I believe this was done to prevent race-track errors.

Best regards,

Bill

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
1 vote
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 11, 2022

Hi @DS,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

We've just released an update for our Marketplace app Advanced Bulk Edit for Jira that enables you to remove text from the issue summary in bulk. Our app is easy to use and would fit if Jira users have to remove text from issue summaries on a regular basis.

• Navigate to the advanced issue search
  • Filter for the issues you want to bulk edit
  • Click "Bulk Edit" button
  • Add "summary" as the field you want to edit
  • Select "replace with"
  • Enter Replace "Clone-" with (leave blank)

advanced-bulk-edit-jira_remove-from-summary.png

If you have questions or feedback about Advanced Bulk Edit for Jira, don't hesitate to contact us.

0 votes
mummareddy supriya May 13, 2024

Clone Epic Function - Story/Review Sub-task Field Clearing Problems

While cloning any issue the estimates and checklist will be carried over, which should not be like that.estimates and checklist list items should not be taken over during clone operation.please provide me solution for this

if any one having idea please suggest me the solution for this please

Thanks in Advance

0 votes
Sushant Balajee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 24, 2023

This is a quick and easy solution (using simple export and import) if this is not a common recurring use case. Takes about 2-3 mins to do!

https://thechaosguide.com/remove-clone-prefix-jira/

0 votes
Mahesh Arandara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2023

You can also go to project settings and add an automation rule like below,

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 10.32.14.pngScreenshot 2023-01-27 at 10.33.31.png

Volker Lenz May 26, 2023

this is IMHO the most elegant solution. To complete the explanation , here's what you have to o in the EDIT action:

clone removal.jpg

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Hi @DS ,

Not sure if you are a site admin or not. I think that it can be done by using CSV export import. I mean search and then export impacted issues, modify the summary values and then Import that CSV file but making sure that you have correct mapping to modify the existing issues not create new one!

See "Updating existing issues" in

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events