Multiple time fields in Jira

Markus Schneider July 20, 2021

Hi all,

I want to create new time tracking fields to use them on multiple Jira-tickets. They should be costumizable and it should be possible to create reports and a lump sum over multiple tickets in a project for each specific field.

I want to track spent time on a ticket in several buckets, such as "time spent because of cause A" and "time spent because of cause B". Is there any existing solution for that that I don't know? Or is there an addon that I can use for this cause?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 answer

0 votes
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

Hi @Markus Schneider 

adding new custom fields mean that you will not be able to easily use any of the built-in Jira features, like reports.

Just to be sure, you want to log time in a single ticket and be able to differentiate particular worklogs and group them separately?

Have you considered using sub-tasks for your use-case?

Hi Jakub, thank you for your quick answer!

I want to track time spent for different reasons, so the ticket has to stay the same. Using sub-tickets would mean to create new tickets and that is not what I really want to to.

Do you see any other possibility?

Thanks, Markus

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

You can add comments when logging a time and then filter/group time by the work description.

If you are able to somehow enforce on your users always writing a valid work description, that can do the trick.

is there no posibility to add aditional time fields? That wold make the whole thing a lot easier!

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2021

No, there is only one native time tracking field in Jira.

You can of course add new custom fields, but these will be your custom fields, i.e. you will have to handle them properly by yourself without any native support from Jira.

Moreover, I am sure there are some addons that deliver the functionality you need or very similar. Please check the marketplace. I believe the Time Tracking category is the one you need to search in:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/categories/time-tracking

Suggest an answer