Multiple jira backlogs

Mala Kesavadas October 10, 2021

I have a project and we have multiple sprints and one backlog. I want to create multiple backlogs. For example a backlog by quarter so that the entire big backlog can be broken down into smaller pieces and story sizes can be assigned. Even monthly backlogs. So how do I create multiple named backlogs?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2021

Hi @Mala Kesavadas ðŸ‘‹

Welcome to the Community! As John mentioned you can create a second board with another backlog. To help this question has popped a few times in the past, hopefully these may help shed a little more light:

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions just ask away 😃

All the best,

Laura

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2021

Hello @Mala Kesavadas 

Welcome to the community.

If you have Parallel Sprints enabled, you can create multiple "fake" sprints in your board that you never start, and use each of those "fake" sprints to break your overall backlog into smaller chunks.

Jira doesn't support having multiple Backlogs (in the way it defines a Backlog) in a single board. So, multiple parallel "fake" sprints or multiple boards are the native options. And that assumes your data is in a Company Managed project. If you are using a Team Managed project, then neither of those options is available to you.

Ming February 23, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

We are trying to use the fake sprints to breakdown the backlog into some categories. But a little problem is that the main backlog will be in very bottom of the page, and I cannot move it up as Sprints are always on the top.

Also I wonder when we run in this way, Does it impact any report or matrix?

Do you have any insight on these. Thank you in advance.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2023

Hello @Ming 

You are correct that when you use fake sprints to organize your backlog the remainder of the backlog will always be at the very bottom of the page. There is no way to change that in this use case.

Jira searching includes an option to search for issues based on the type of sprints to which they are associated; closedSprints, openSprints, and futureSprints. This method of organizing your backlog will show the issues in the fake sprints as associated to an futureSprint. So that is one potential impact to reporting.

Another impact is that any Scrum board that includes the issues will show the fake and Active sprints to which they are assigned. If you have these issues in more than one Scrum board, that may cause confusion.

You should examine in more detail the problem you are trying to solve in breaking down you backlog to see if there is a better way to address that.

If you want additional help on that topic, please start a new Question in the community and provide the details relevant to your scenario.

Like • Ming likes this
0 votes
Tehmina Aslam March 9, 2022

Not possible, a project may have multiple boards along with 1 backlog with each board. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2021

Hi Mala - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can create a second board with a second backlog. 

Haitham Fouad March 7, 2022

Hi John,

I've created a second board, and my two boards are pulling issues from one backlog! how to create the second backlog?

Like • Simon_Bruguerolle likes this
Manuel Monteverde August 10, 2022

with the filter used for the board, some have mentioned that you could differentiate the issues/stories with the component, label, custom field

Like • John Funk likes this
0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2021

Hi @Mala Kesavadas ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

First of all, while you have mentioned multiple sprints, do you mean these are parallel or sequential? 

You can create multiple boards using JQL filter and display issues related to Team X is one board and issues with Team Y in another board. I hope your requirement falls with Company Managed Project, please check this to configure a company managed project - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-a-company-managed-board/.

Please check this to create Jira Filters and associating those with Board Settings - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/

Please check and let me know if that helps.

Cheers

Suvradip

Suggest an answer