Multi-choice custom field with automated output

Lydia Hawkridge July 21, 2021

Hi friends!

At my company, we are introducing the concept of impact (1-5) and severity (1-6) for bug reporting. We will then fix anything which scores above 5 when the values are multiplied. For example, if I have an issue that impact score was 2 and severity score 6, this would be 12 and therefore, we would fix it.

Is there any smart way to set up a custom field that prompts the user to select 2 numerical values and then have a second field that automatically shows the calculation outcome?

Right now, my thinking is I need to create a multi-select list with the options for sev and impact, then a dropdown for priority based on calculation. 

Any smarter ideas out there?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Lydia Hawkridge 

You could do this with custom fields, as you suggest, and then use an automation rule to calculate the product.  As there are 31 possible results (null, and 1-30) you may not want a select field for the result; just a text or numeric field.

Perhaps also consider then selecting a range of values to adjust the built-in Priority field in the automation rule, rather than a single cut-off value of "5 or greater".

Please look here for information about automation rules to get you started:

Best regards,
Bill

Lydia Hawkridge July 21, 2021

@Bill Sheboy this is absolutely brilliant, exactly what I need and yes, agreed, have set it up so the calculation is equivalent to a priority rank (i.e. 1-5 = trivial and so on).

Thank you for your help and such a quick response! Really appreciate it :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events