Moving issue from one project to other with automation

Rajesh Konda August 18, 2021

Hi All,

Is there any way in automation or other third party tool supported to auto move issue from one project to different project once created. We have around 14 projects in my instance, Few times user mistakenly creates ticket in a different project instead of original one. So i'm planning to create a field for all project with their names as drop down, once user select the field option from drop down automatically ticket need to be moved to destination project. Can this be achievable please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajesh

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2021

Moving an issue from one project to another is not a trivial task - all the config has to be checked and the users asked questions if there are any variations that might affect the data.

In theory, you could automate all of this if two projects are identical, or you're happy to code in all the checks and amendments that might need to be made if they are not identical, but in real life, this is not a simple task and most people won't do it.

This is one of the few things where I would step back from automation, move is not something worth spending the time on automating.  It would be far better to look at how the mistakes are being made and working out a way to prevent them.

Arthur Ter-Grigoryan June 7, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this is already your second comment under similar topics about "Moving and automated moving is ugh"!

Can you please suggest to me what can I do if I need to route our clients' tasks from one general support email to different projects?

Problem: we have email support@company.com. All of our clients are writing there with their complaints and questions. We need to route their queries depending on their organization to the corresponding project in Jira and convert them to tasks.

Solution #1: set up one email handler in Jira and route depending on the sender's email address or domain. This will not work because Jira doesn't allow me to create an email handler "one-to-all".

Solution #2: create one general Support project, set up an email handler to route there all incoming emails and convert them into tasks first of all, then move to different projects based on the reporter's email address or domain. This will not work too because Automation does not support the moving of issues.

Any suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Change your processes for handling them so that moving issues between projects is not needed.  

If you had Jira Service Management, you'll recognise this model - you have a customer-facing project (in JSM, this is fronted to the customers via requests), issues come into it, your agents triage the issues and deal with the ones they can.  When issues need to go to other teams (developers), they use the "create linked issue" function to create a partial copy in the appropriate project.  Developers cycle through their processes and feed back success, which goes back to the original and the agent updates the user.

You'll find you can automate the "copy bits to another project" and do it conditionally.

Arthur Ter-Grigoryan June 9, 2022

Okay, I get your point.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer