Moving Issues to other Project causes lost of custom-field values

Hi together,

I have a JIRA 6.1.7.

I have created a new project to merge some other projects.

I like to move all required issues from the old projects to the new one without losing any information. What happens is that when I move issues with custom-fields of the type "Radio Buttons", "Checkboxes" or "Select List", the value of those fields get lost somehow.

The custom-field are available during the move action, but you have to select the value there or you will end up with an empty field.

I have created all schemes including all issues, workflows and custom-fields I need. At this point I have simply added all custom fields to the Field Configurations and Field Configuration Scheme. Also I have added the target project to the scopes of all custom fields.
In my test environment this leads to the fact, that all values will be moved with the given issue.

But in my productive system I will still lose the values.

Does anybody have an idea what I could have missed?

Thanks

Benjamin

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Vasiliy Zverev Community Champion Mar 01, 2016

Make sure that field configuration schema into new project contains all custom fields from old project.

Hi Vasiliy,

thanks for your suggestion, but this is already the case. The fields are there and could be edited but the value gets lost by moving the issue to another project.

greetings
Benjamin

I finally found the solution:
If you move a ticket with sub-task(s) with the normal move option within the issue, you have to choose the values from the list-fields again.

If you perform a bulk-move you can check "Retain" for each value, and if you check it for the given fields the values will be kept.

So finally the question is: why is the behaviour different between the two move options?

greeting

Benjamin

I'm having the same issue, but your above statement isn't true for me. I'm trying to bulk move tickets from one project to another. I made sure that the schemes are the same and that the custom fields are included in the create screen, field configurations, and that they have all the same field options (since they're dropdowns), but even after i click retain value, when i arrive to the confirmation page right before I merge, the details of the move state the fields new values to be empty.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 8 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

21 views 0 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you