Moved Issues to Another Project - Custom Fields not Mapped to Other Project - Lost All Field Data

Drew G April 26, 2023

Hello - 

As the title suggests, I am in a bad place in my Jira instance. I bulked moved many Issues onto a new project and lost all of my custom field data. Quickly realized that this is because those custom fields were not mapped to the project I moved the Issues to.

I tried moving a handful of those Issues back to the original project to see if the data in the custom fields would be retained, but it's not.

Is there anything I can do to get this data in the custom fields back, or am I just completely screwed?

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Drew G - Unfortunately, there is no way to recover these fields natively.  If you back up your server, you could restore the database and create a CSV import from there to update only the custom fields so that you're not reverting other data with a full restore.

Drew G April 26, 2023

Thanks for the response. Just got off a call from our database admin, and was able to restore a backup from yesterday. THANK GOODNESS!

Like # people like this
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Most of us including me hate paying for insurance, in this context - cost of backups.

Then an accident occurs out of the blue! and luckily you have that insurance in place (backup) 

@Drew G - so glad to hear that you were able to get your data back!

Suggest an answer