Move issue from one Jira instance to another instance (both Jira Server)

Andrea C September 23, 2019

Apologies if I missed something obvious, I read many questions about this but I didn't find a final answer.

I want to move (or copy) one (or more) issue/s from a Jira instance to another one.

I found an add-on called JIRA to JIRA Issue Copy but it doesn't seem to work with the latest (8.4.1) version of Jira Software.

Any other alternatives?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 vote
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Andrea C ,

There are actually many add-ons available on our marketplace for Jira Cloud and/or Server that are offering the possibility to synchronize (copy) issues between instances. 

Please click on the below link and customize the search to only show the ones that may fit your needs:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Andrea C October 4, 2019

Thank you both @Dario B and @Stefaan Quackels 

I will make you an example of the use case so that my requirements are clearer:

The service desk team will analyze each issue and some of them won't fit in the scope of that particular project so they will decide to move (I guess copy) a specific issue to another service desk project which is in another Jira instance, and both instances are Jira Server.

So what I really need is a button inside the issue in Jira Sofware that will copy that single issue to the other instance, just copy it once, I don't care that should be in sync, in fact, I would like to close the issue in the current instance and continue with the workflow of the other instance.

Basically is the exactly same functionality of the "Move" button with the only difference being that the landing project is in another instance.

I hope I was more clear now.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2019

@Andrea C ,

That makes sense! In this case, you can use a synchronization solution.

With Exalate you'll be able to configure your synchronization rules to be uni-directional and use a button to sync it over to the other side.

You can try it out here on the Atlassian marketplace for yourself. Or, if you want, we can set up a demo to show how it would work for that particular use case. You can book one here.

Let me know if this helps, or you have any additional questions!

Cheers,
Stefaan

Like Dario B likes this
0 votes
Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Andrea C ,

We're the developers of a synchronization solution @Dario B mentioned: Exalate.

Are you looking to do a one-time migration? Or would you like to set up a continuous uni-(or bi-)directional synchronization between your Jira instances?

Andrea C December 1, 2021

Hi @Stefaan Quackels and @Dario B 

I am sorry to re-open this old topic but I never had to implement this functionality until now :)

I need a one-time migration of a single issue.

I want to map the fields of one issue type in one Jira instance to the fields of an issue type of another Jira instance and agents will have the ability to migrate one issue from the issue screen by clicking on a button.

Is it possible to do it?

Thank you,

Andrea

Suggest an answer