Move Jira from server to cloud

Yiqun Shao April 8, 2018

Currently my company is using Jira software on server, version 6.4.13, database type MySQL, version 5.1.69, with Confluence, version 5.5.3.

We are now looking at the possibility of move to cloud. And it seems most of the users, if not all, will switch to Jira core.

After some research, we need to do the following things:

• use a staging Jira server to use PostgreSQL
  • upgrade JIRA to latest version
  • move from jira software to jira core
  • backup jira
  • uploading jira to cloud
  • migrate from confluence server to cloud

So my question is, is there are correct order to do these things? When do the jira upgrade, can I go to 7.0, and then 7.8?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2018

You're broadly correct, upgrade Jira from 6.4 to 7.0 then 7.8, doing the database at the same time, take a backup, then upload it.

Not sure why you want to "switch" from Software to Core.  If your users are all using Software now, why not carry on using it on Cloud?  And even if you are just reducing the numbers on Cloud to save money, but you still have some users on Software, you're going to have Software in the Cloud anyway, so there's no need to change, just adjust your licence tiers and user groups.

Yiqun Shao April 8, 2018

Thank you for your reply!

I want to switch to Core, because I don't think anyone is using Agile. But I'm not sure if we all use core will there be any information loss.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2018

You will lose information about any sprints your users have done, because that is Agile/Software information, but all the stuff like projects, issues, workflows etc will be fine.

Yiqun Shao April 9, 2018

Seems it's fine for us, thank you!

Suggest an answer