Modify ticket creation workflow such that new bugs or user-story can't be created without specifying

Amrita May 9, 2022

Modify ticket creation workflow such that new bugs or user-story can't be created without specifying Epic in the epic field

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2022

Are you working with Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center?

If Cloud, are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

If you are working with Jira Server/Data Center, or work with a Company Managed project in Jira Cloud you have two choices:

1. Create a Field Configuration where the Epic Link field is set to Required. In the Field Configuration Scheme for your project, set that Field Configuration to be associated to the Bug and User Story issue types. This will require the Epic Link be filled in always for those issue types.

2. If you don't have Workflow(s) that are already specific to the Bug and User Story issue types, create them by copying the workflows that those issue type currently use in your project. The modify the new workflow(s) in the Create transition. Add a Validator on that transition and use the Field Required Validator option to specify that the Epic Link field is required. Add the new workflow(s) to the Workflow Scheme used by the project, and associate the new workflow(s) to the two issue types.

Note that if your Field Configuration Scheme or your Workflow Scheme is shared with other projects, those other projects will be affected by this change. If you need to affect only one project, you may also need to create a new Field Configuration Scheme or a new Workflow Scheme that can be associated with that one project so that others will not be impacted.

Amrita May 11, 2022

I'm working with Jira cloud 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

Do you have more question based on the information I provided?

Amrita May 12, 2022

I'm working with company managed project jira cloud.

The Epic link is locked ,can it be unlocked so that I can modify tickets such that user story/bug cannot be created with Epic link.

Field configuration is Default , is it because of this Epic link is locked ?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2022

I apologize. I gave you incorrect guidance.

Additional research lead me to this post (credit to @John Funk 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Field-Epic-link-is-required-on-Jira-cloud/qaq-p/1371393

To make the Epic Link field required you will have to modify the Workflow that applies to the targeted issues. For each transition in that workflow you will have to add a Validator and use the Field Required Validator to ensure the Epic Link field is not empty. Unfortunately, it will still be possible for somebody to clear the Epic Link field while editing the issue, and that won't be caught until the issue changes statuses again.

You might also want to add an Automation Rule to check for any time the Epic Link field is edited to check if the field has been cleared for those types of issues in the affected project, and send an email to a project manager or somebody else in that case to follow up.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer