Message field (EDIT) - Not working

Juan Du Toit December 14, 2021

Hi All,

I am trying to use the Message custom field (edit) to display when an issue is transitioned from one status to another, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I added it to a screen and the screen to the transition, but the only field exposed is the comment field.

Is this field still working? Not sure what I am doing wrong

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Message fields for (view and edit) come from the Jira toolkit app. 

They do not hold any data on issues though, they just put text on a screen when they are added to them.

Like other fields, they won't appear on view unless they have data to show, but unlike other custom fields, also hide themselves completely on edit screens (screens used on create, edit and transition actions) if they don't have any data to show.

The data they show is not on issues, it's simply the default value you set for them in the configuration.

So, it sounds like there are two possibilities here:

• The field does not belong to the screen for some reason (wrong screen, no project/issue context or hidden in field config).  I suspect you've already ruled this one out
  • The field does not have a default value set
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Intriguing. I need to investigate this app and specifically the usage of such field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

I don't remember anyone using it for anything more clever than a bit of instructional text on a screen - stuff like "When selecting from the list below, please consider X, Y and Z" or "If you're not sure how to answer these questions, please contact this team"

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Juan Du Toit December 18, 2021

Hi All,

I tested it again, and it works.  I had to go in again and finish the configuration by adding the message as a default value.

It is much like a cascading field where you create it but have to go back in to finish configurations.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

I am not familiar with the Message field. Maybe this is a custom field. Are you sure you published the workflow? Please share images of your config where you have this set up.

Suggest an answer