Merge 2 Atlassian Cloud Instances

NC May 16, 2018

We currently have a number of Atlassian instances within our organization and we are planning a merger, there appears to be an easy way to import a Confluence space, however, the same functionality for JIRA is not clear.

Please Help!!!! 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2018

Hi Niel,

The process to merge two or more Jira Cloud sites is not a simple process to follow.  It's actually quite complex.  I would recommend following the KB: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-two-different-jira-cloud-applications-together-779160767.html

In short, you can use the project import features of jira server in order to import the projects into a single Jira instance.  To do this you first have to migrate each Jira cloud site to an empty Jira server installation.   From there you can generate a backup of one of these and use that Jira server XML backup to import the projects in that backup into the other Jira Server site.  However there is also a lot of prep work that tends to have to happen on the destination Jira site before you can complete even a single project import.  Naturally this can take a lot of time and effort to complete for several projects.

Because we know this is a complex process to follow, there are 3rd party plugins for Jira Server that can help with this merge process.  I would recommend either:

Project Configurator

or

Configuration Manager

Either one of these plugins can help make this process easier to restore the projects of one Jira site into another.

Once you have all the projects from one Jira site merged into the other, you can then take a backup of that Jira Server site and migrate it back to Jira Cloud.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Austin Sasko January 18, 2019

Is there any timeline or expectation of this complex process becoming a bit more simplified?

Like # people like this
Jeffrey Liss March 18, 2019

This response only addresses Jira Cloud.  What is the option/procedure for those who wish to merge two cloud instances that include Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket?  Also, even if there are individual procedures for backing up these services from one instances and restoring them into another, what happens to the links between them?  E.g., if I have an issue in Jira with links to code in Bitbucket and pages in Confluence, what happens to those links when everything is imported to the new, common instance?

brendan grainger December 9, 2019

This is desperately needed. Surely it shouldn't be this hard. We are in the same boat and have tried to import XML exports running through the procedure above and it doesn't work.

Like Al Boulais likes this
Daniel March 17, 2020

Let me get this straight... in order to merge two SaaS accounts I need to migrate them to server installations, merge them, then migrate them back into the cloud? Typical Atlassian.

Deleted user June 14, 2021

"Let me get this straight... in order to merge two SaaS accounts I need to migrate them to server installations, merge them, then migrate them back into the cloud?"

<-- right. AFAIK- you need to install server, and set it up, and then use it to migrate to.... Bzzzt! Non-starter for us. :( I can't tell if it's 'typical Atlassian'- but I can agree it's not a viable solution. I think they are working on Cloud to Cloud tools, but... Am still figuring this out myself.  

4 votes
brendan grainger December 9, 2019

This is desperately needed. Surely it shouldn't be this hard.

0 votes
Deleted user June 14, 2021

To reiterate other user's comments above...

The solution proposed is:

"In short, you can use the project import features of jira server in order to import the projects into a single Jira instance.  To do this you first have to migrate each Jira cloud site to an empty Jira server installation.  " <-- this is a non starter.

My company doesn't even have servers. We're on GSuite and AWS and Google Cloud Platform. We can NOT start setting up Windows Server on Azure or AWS, etc, so we can figure out how to install and configure JIRA Server, so we can then attempt a migration from JIRA Cloud SaaS to Jira Cloud SaaS. 

I can understand if it's a migration process that is not yet supported, fine. But we all kind of have to call BS on passing-through-JIRA-server being considered a realistic 'workaround'.

Sorry.

Suggest an answer