Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Marketplace licensing for specific user group

Hi,

Our JIRA organization consists of 1000s of users.

But we need some Marketplace Apps only for a specific set of users (around 50). But it seems that this is not possible and that we have to purchase the license for all the 1000s of users which seems ridiculous if the above statement is correct.

Is there a workaround for this and are there any plans to change this policy ? I worked with Azure Devops and they have the feature to limit the marketplace Apps only for specific projects or users. 

Is it possible in the future Atlassian ?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Abinash Deepak ,

Welcome to the community!

I do not work for Atlassian, so I cannot speak about the future or any future plans.. However, currently it's like you described: The total amount of users in your instance is what drives the price of an app. I do not expect this to change in the near future, as it would have severe implications for tens of thousands customers and app vendors.

Speaking as a Marketplace vendor, we typically price apps on a curve, meaning that the 5000th user is much cheaper than then the 25th. I expect that most vendors would quickly adapt their prices if apps could be purchased for a subset of users in an instance.

Anyway, hope that helps,
  Oliver

I've lost count of the times we've found a really good marketplace app which would be super useful for one team, or even one person, in our organization, but we've decided not to install it because we'd have to pay for a license for everyone in the organization.  Obviously changing this would have a short term impact on revenue for Atlassian and for app developers, but it's hard to believe it wouldn't result in increased revenue long term as users would be much more willing to install new apps.  There are multiple issues in the Jira backlog regarding this, with hundreds of upvotes and comments, and no response from Atlassian as usual, because keeping customers happy is not a priority for them.

Thanks for the replies. While I understand the Implications, There can always be solutions found for existing users. At least, it can be made dependent on the specific JIRA project instead of the whole JIRA Instance which may even Include the end users of the products sometimes. If we need to buy a test management tool for 10 QAs in the team for example, it makes absolutely no sense to buy a license for 5000 users who will never use it.

Anyways, we are where we are. I'll check if there is some user voice for this. Thanks again.

0 votes

Hi @Abinash Deepak ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

For now, App license has to match the highest Jira application tier. (https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/marketplace#licensing-purchasing)

I don't think that this policy will be changed in the future.

Fabio

0 votes
Tessa Tuteleers Community Leader Apr 14, 2022

Hi @Abinash Deepak , 

for the moment it is not possible, please find more info on previous question.

For enterprise licensed cloud, you could choose to have a different instance for those 50 users and install the app on that instance. However, that would completely disconnect those users from the rest of your instance and thus probably not a great solution. 

- Tessa

Suggest an answer