Limit users for specific applications in Jira Software

michael December 10, 2020

We are using Jira Software with quite some users now and looking to expand with some more. However we have also some applications connected to Jira Software such as "ActivityTimeline: Plan & Track Resources Cloud" and Bitbucket which we use for a specific group of our Jira Software users.

My question is to limit costs is it possible for applications to limit the number of users of these application to only the relevant users within Jira Software.

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2020

What they said@michael.  To sell software on the Atlassian Marketplace the app vendors (I work for one) have to conform to Atlassian's rules of engagement. And this is one of them.

Consequently, we app vendors do our best to price our products accordingly -- taking into consideration factors like the fact that not every Jira user will use our software.

But there are other considerations, too. For example, our product includes a Jira widget so you can do reporting for all stakeholders even if they don't use our product.  I.e., the organization derives value from many apps even if they aren't all using the product. 

Anyway, we have to play by the (Atlassian) rules. And ultimately you have to decide whether or not the apps you choose are priced fairly, or not.  

Hope this helps.  :)

-dave [ALM Works]

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 11, 2020

Hello from ActivityTimeline team @michael

So @Trudy Claspill is right here, all the apps that are paid via Atlassian have the same billing structure which charges for all Jira active users, regardless of the number of people that use the app itself.

However, if you would like to limit the access to the application for just those users that actually use the add-on, you can do it in ActivityTimeline Configuration->Users->Assign 'No access' role to them and they won't be able to open the app.

Hope this helps ;)

BR,

Ostap

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Hello @michael 

The general answer is no. In my experience I have not yet found a App in the marketplace that has a licensing agreement other than licensing for all licensed users of JIRA.

For instance, for the app you mentioned 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220860/activitytimeline-plan-track-resources?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing

"Apps are billed based on the number of users in your Atlassian product. Jira Cloud apps are priced based on the maximum users of the Jira products on your instance."

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events