Logout 400 status error in Jira localhost

Tore Gunnar Larsen September 6, 2019

I'm testing a plugin on a local Jira instance that is created via the atlas-run command of the Altassian-SDK.

When I use the logout button, it leads to an error page with a status code of 400. The error seems to be that there are unencoded pipe "|" characters in the URL that Jira is unable to handle.
I know that the plugin doesn't cause the problem, as it still exists when the plugin is uninstalled. I also believe that the problem appeared because of an upgrade to AMPS version 8.0.2, which was necessary for a team-member to run a local instance of Jira.
After reading this discussion: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/New-installation-Jira-Logout-option-returns-400-Error/qaq-p/688311
I tried to set the option in Tomcat's catalina.properties as mentioned at the very end. This unfortunately didn't solve the problem.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2019

Hi Tore,

I understand that you are seeing an error in regards to a pipe | character in a Jira URL when trying to logout using the SDK.  I would have expected this version of the SDK to avoid this problem.  But what I think might be happening is that the $Jirainstall/conf/server.xml file might not have the proper settings for this version of Apache's Tomcat that Jira is running.   There are more details about this configuration change in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/jira-core-8-0-x-upgrade-notes-966033927.html#JiraCore8.0.xupgradenotes-tomcat

From that page:

Steps to take

To solve the problem, edit the server.xml file, and add properties that make Tomcat accept special characters in the requests.

1. Go to <Jira-installation-directory>/conf, and edit the server.xml file.
  2. Find all connectors your application is using. Just search for Connector in the file, or look at the example below.
  3. Add  relaxedPathChars="[]|" relaxedQueryChars="[]|{}^\`"<>"  to the connector properties in server.xml. For example:

<Connector port="8080" relaxedPathChars="[]|" relaxedQueryChars="[]|{}^&#x5c;&#x60;&quot;&lt;&gt;" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" connectionTimeout="20000" enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" protocol="HTTP/1.1" useBodyEncodingForURI="true" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" disableUploadTimeout="true" bindOnInit="false"/>
  4. Restart Jira.

Try this and let me know if this helps,

Andy

Suggest an answer