Login with active directory, permissions from Jira internal directory?

Yousaf November 6, 2017

Hello together,

I wanted to ask if it´s possible to let users of Jira log in with the help of the active directory, but once in Jira, the internal directory of Jira gives the user all the permissions and rights.

Background info: we want to be independant from the IT-Team which has all users of Jira go over the active directory, and we don´t want that.

Also we have a lot of users and a lot of groups (some very small, some very large). We want to have only 4-5 groups in the future (Admins, Users, Customers etc.) Maybe this info can help understand.

Thank you! ;-)

2 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Hello,

You can create LDAP user directory and check Read Only, with Local Groups checkbox. In this case your users will be imported from LDAP and you can assign local Jira groups to the imported users . Then you will grant permissions to the local groups.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

+1. This is the setting I use for a 3000+ user instance.

AD groups for "general" access, local groups for extended access (i.e. restrictive workflow conditions, sprint management permission, bulk changes, etc.).

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

Hi Yousaf,

yes, that's possible. You have to enable your AD as a "Jira Delegated Authentication Directory" (internal with LDAP Authentication).

With such a setting, you have to add your user to Jira manually (and give them all their permission there), but the password is checked with the Active Directory. 

Suggest an answer