Logging Impediments

Alp Eren Aydın December 3, 2017

Hello,

We are doing scrum for a year. When we look after this year we want to find out where were our impediments and how much time we had blocked because of these impediments. We couldn't find certain results. From now on We want to log these impediments.

Is there any way to log and report impediments with their category in the Jira.

Flagging is ok. but I can't choose impediment category and it can be hard to finding categories from comments.

Thank you

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2017

Hello Alp,

You have an interesting requirement because JIRA does providing Flagging but you can't do much reporting around flagging. i.e. for much time the issue was flagged etc.

Since the underlying system of JIRA is built around projects and issues thus my suggestion for you is to create a sub-task type called "Impediment". When an story has an impediment your team can create an sub-task of type "impediment" and log time on this sub-task type. Once impediment is cleared then total time can be logged and sub-task can be closed and hence at the end of year you can have more information about time spent waiting for impediments etc. ( other jira fields like component/ fix version etc can also be used on this sub-task for better reporting) 

scott Schnier January 30, 2018

we like the flag and the color change on the board. Doing two things the subtask and the flag seems like a lot. I'd really like jira to provdie better support for impediments. It is nice how we raise them but It would be really valuable if we could get a report on all the impediments when they were raised, when they were cleared and the reason with out any extra work. 

Like # people like this
Neri Gonzalez Silvestry March 21, 2018

Hello, I have the same need. We would like to measure the time a ticket had an impediment. This will help us to measure efficiency and then, improve it. 

Thanks, 

Like Scott Thurston likes this
Masoud_Masoud February 19, 2020

Impediment logs should be a separate list for more and concise organization.

Suggest an answer