Linking issues in JIRA

Fr0zt April 16, 2018

Hello.

I've trying to understand how to link issues in JIRA, and I have found this linK:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/linking-issues-861257339.html

But I am still trying to find a solution to my problem.

I have an epic, and this epic has 3 stories (story1, story2, story3).

I was able to link the 3 stories with this epic (I linked it: each story blocks the epic).

However, I wanted to be able to finish the epic, only if all the 3 stories are finished.

How can I do that?

This is, I want to link the 3 stories with the epic, so that it only be possible to finalize the epic after I finalize the 3 stories (in the workflow).

How can I acomplish this?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2018

Hi @Fr0zt as @Alexey Matveev said you would have to have a plugin for this. 

We are using Suite utility for jira plugin.

There you can define a workflow validator based on linked issues status exactly as you mentioned in your requirement.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities/server/overview?_ga=2.238660614.748089990.1523892947-1224817718.1522375180

Hope this helps :-)

Fr0zt April 19, 2018

Can you tell me where to find a nice tutorial for Suite utility please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2018

I'm not sure anyone has bothered to write one, as it's quite simple to use.  Install the app, then have a look through the docs for the functions you are interested in.

Docs are at https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Suite%20Utilities%20for%20JIRA

And the link validator only asks you three questions - https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Linked+Status+Validator

Fr0zt April 20, 2018

Ok. the thing is. I have installed Jira Suite utilities.

But where can I find the Validator? If I go to Jira Suite Utilities - configuration, I cannot find that. SO I am stuck in trying to find where to start using it.

Can you help me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2018

Validators are functions within the workflow, and as such, you edit a workflow and select the ones you want to use from the global list of validators available (then configure it for what you need within that workflow)

JSU adds validators to the global list.

Fr0zt April 20, 2018

I have installed JIRA Suite utilities for JIRA.

I've tried going into the setting -> issues -> Workflows.

I Select a workflow and select edit, and I am now in the process of editing it (adding status/transitions). But I cannot find  anything for adding validators (as you can see in

the photo).

I have also tried to do this edit the workflow inside a project. but still without results. What am I doing wrong?

Fr0zt April 20, 2018

jira suite utilities.png

worflow.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2018

Click on the transition you need to validate, it will give you the properties and functions pop-up

Fr0zt April 24, 2018

Ok, thanks I managed to find it. My question is this: I have a task. And I created 2 subtask inside it (subtask 1 and subtask2). Task has workflow1. Subtasks have workflow2.

How can I make it, so that the task can only go to status done when both sub-tasks are also in status done?

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2018

@Fr0zt,

1. Click Edit in workflow 
  2. Click on the transition you want the validator to be added. I guess in your case (Story > to Resolve )

1.png3. Click Validators

4. Click Add Validators

2.png

5. Select the appropriate validator you want. 

3.png

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2018

You would need an add-on for it like Power Scripts or ScriptRunner.

0 votes
Fr0zt April 16, 2018

Thanks for your answers. What do you think is the easiest plugin to work with for that matteR?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2018

It depends on your skills. I prefer Power Scripts.

Suggest an answer