Link Insight Object to JSD User

Nick Fischer October 17, 2019

I am trying to link an existing Insight object with additional  information to a Service Desk customer account. The only way of adding "custom fields" I found is using the user properties.

Is it even possible to link an Insight object to a Service Desk user?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

When you create the Service Desk customer, then a user should be created as well, this user will not have access to the jira system and not assigned any license but it is still a user. 

This user you should be able to assign to a insight user object just as any other user. I made a test account through the customer interface, then went into insight and add a user field in one of my insight schemes. The below picture is how this turns out on the user. 

insight customer user.JPG

Greg May 29, 2020

I have attempted the same, selecting 'JIRA-SERVICEDESK-USERS' as the Type Value of the 'User' Type, however my customers are not populated in this group.

Can you provide more detail as to how you were able to include Customers (non-licensed Service Desk users) as an attribute within an Insight object?

Like Robert Nadon likes this
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

It does not matter if they are licensed or not as long as a user account is created. Not sure where you are selecting 'JIRA-SERVICEDESK-USERS' but that seems redundant at least while you are testing functionality.

Simply assign a user field in insight, then assign the user that is a customer. As long as the user is directly connected to the object it should now have a connection as shown above. 

Greg June 9, 2020

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that this feature is not available to users of the Cloud based version of Service Desk.

Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2020

That would not surprise me, Insight Cloud is a fairly new product that was released this year. I have not had the time to review it yet so cant really say more. The response above was formulated from the server product as you have already found. 

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
2 votes
Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2020

I just tested this, and I was able to link a customer to an object. However, when I added the customer in a JSD project he does not show up in any Jira groups.

So this should work if you don't add a filter on specific groups (type value) in the User attribute in Insight. Would that be an option for you?

Greg June 10, 2020

Thanks Sandra, but I don't quite understand what your saying. If I don't add a 'type value' to the User 'Attribute Type' then it won't reference anything at all on the Service Desk side.

Am I wrong?

Note that I am using the Cloud version.

Edit: After testing your configuration option, I think I understand what you mean. Leaving it blank allows me to select any current customer from within Insight.

This is helpful, however doesn't serve much purpose that I can see aside from being able to select a user from an auto-completed list. Since the user is a Service Desk customer and not a Jira user, no details can be gleaned from clicking on the assigned user within Insight.

Additionally, I still haven't found a way to associate a (customer) user's object(s) with their Service Desk ticket.

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2020

Hi Greg

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do.

If it involves linking a Jira user, which is a customer, to an Insight object by using the User attribute type. This is the way to see customers in the list like you have managed to test.

But I also see your point about not getting any information. If I click on a regular user, I get his user details in Jira, but if I click on a customer user, I don't get any details. Is that what you mean?

For the additional question. Let me see if I understand correctly.

Do you want a field on your issue that links to a list of customers (objects) from Insight?

To do that, you need to create an Asset Type Configuration, and then create an Asset custom field and link it to the Asset Type Configuration that you created. 

The Asset Type Configuration could be something like "ObjectType = customers"

If you want to display you newly created Asset field on the service desk portal, you need to make sure that it's also added to the Jira Service Desk request form.

See details about integrating Insight with Jira.

If you have more questions or want to look into this further, please raise a support ticket in Mindville's support portal so we can support you better.

Kind regards,
Sandra

Greg June 11, 2020

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your replies, and apologies for the confusion. Sometimes intent gets lost when replying to multiple issues.

But I also see your point about not getting any information. If I click on a regular user, I get his user details in Jira, but if I click on a customer user, I don't get any details. Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I mean. Since the Service Desk Customers are not Jira users, they do not link to any details or information about them within Jira.

For the additional question. Let me see if I understand correctly.

Do you want a field on your issue that links to a list of customers (objects) from Insight?

Sorry, I realized I never fully described my goal. I was hoping to connect my Service Desk customers (our company employees) to the their Insight assets on their Service Desk Tickets and Portal. In other words, to give them the ability to select their assets from the Customer Portal and allow the Service Desk admins to assign the assets within an existing Ticket (Linked Assets).

To do that, you need to create an Asset Type Configuration, and then create an Asset custom field and link it to the Asset Type Configuration that you created.

I had created my Asset Type Configuration and created the filters with Service Desk, however I was not able to associate Users to their Assets as I had hoped. I opened a ticket with Insight and that is when I was told that this functionality is not currently available for Service Desk Cloud. A shame because there is already a built-in Custom Field titled "Linked Assets" within Service Desk Cloud.

I'm still hoping for a workaround of some sort, but have come up empty in my testing. If you can think of anything, I'd be happy to discuss.

Thanks again!

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2020

Hi Greg.

This is possible if we use "Assign assets to users" in the Asset Type Configuration.

This setting works with the user attribute on the object. If checked, it means that the reporter (customer or regular user) will see computers that he is linked to (through the user attribute), plus computers that are not linked to anyone.

See images for explanation:

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 08.58.31.pngAssigned assets.pngShow assigned assets.png

Does this help?

Kind regards,

Sandra

Like # people like this
Greg June 12, 2020

Thank you so much, Sandra!
This is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish and thanks to you it's now working.

Do you have any reference as to where I may find information about whether it's possible to only reference a specific Schema via IQL?

Thanks again!

-Greg

Sandra _Mindville_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2020

I'm happy to hear that Greg. 

To reference a specific schema, you simple add "objectSchema = "name of schema" OR ObjectSchemaId= "id for schema" to the IQL. The Id might be better if you think you might change the name at any point in time.
See details here: 
https://documentation.mindville.com/display/INSCLOUD/Integrating+Insight+with+Jira

Kind regards,
Sandra

0 votes
preetippatki February 1, 2022

I am trying to create a empty Insight object schema by imports values from CSV. How to link the object with Jira user to show the information at Profile.

Any links to steps.

0 votes
Albert Kalytta October 19, 2020

@Sandra _Mindville_ Thanks sandra for the attribute help with jira service desk customers. Provided a solution for me aswell :)

Suggest an answer