Link All Subtasks to Parent Story

DS June 28, 2021

Hi All,

I'm attempting to link all the subtasks of story to the story itself. Right now I've been going into the subtasks one by one ,then clicking "link issue" and then I link it to the parent story. Is there a way to make these changes in bulk to all my stories and their subsequent subtasks? I have hundreds of subtasks I need to link to hundreds of stories. Or if there is a field that I can add in the subtasks that automatically shows the name of the parent story, that can work too. Thanks!

Dillontest - Issues - Jira 2021-06-28 14-41-30.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Sub-tasks are already automatically "linked" to their parents - they're a part of them by design (and if you really want to get into the technical details, there's a hidden link in the link table too).

What problem are you trying to solve by adding a second issue-link to the sub-tasks?

DS June 28, 2021

Oh i see. So what im trying to do is be able to see the parent story name somewhere in the subtask screen. Right now, clicking into a subtask doesn't show the parent name from what I can see and were having to open the parent story again to make sure we are making changes to the correct one. If that makes sense? Basically the goal is to have the parent story name somewhere within the subtask menu in the image i attached. This would allow us to tell at a quick glance what subtask for which story we are making edits to.Dillontest - Issues - Jira 2021-06-28 15-09-34.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

It actually is displayed in the breadcrumbs…

655866CC-626E-4C56-929F-421E88256D6C.jpeg

DS June 28, 2021

I understand that but Im looking for the actual name of the story to be displayed. Not the DIL-26 and DIL-28 names.

Dillontest - Issues - Jira 2021-06-28 16-01-39.png

DS June 28, 2021

I got it somewhat working by adding a new field to the subtasks page and im now doing bulk edits to update the new field on each subtask with the story name. Is it possible to create an automation rule that takes the story name and populates the new field i created for each child subtask?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

I see so you want the parent Summary field? I would probably look at automation and a custom text field.

DS June 29, 2021

would you know how I would best automate this? Basically copying the summary (story) name and placing it into a field in all the subtasks of the story?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

I’m tied up at the moment and it would take me some time to play with myself.

There are a number of posts in the community that might be helpful and there’s also the documentation I would highly encourage you to become familiar with; specifically smart values. With that said here is one community post that I found useful and may give you some tips on how to build your automation - Copy-Synch-parent-summary-field-to-linked-child-custom-field 

DS June 29, 2021

That's okay thanks for your help. I was able to get it figured out by using these automation rules:Project automation - Jira 2021-06-29 13-11-37.png

"Asset" is the custom filed I placed in each subtask. So it now takes the parent issues summary and places it in the custom field for each task.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

Awesome work!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events