Limit visibility to selected projects without the need to add customers manually

Ines April 28, 2023

Hello everybody!

I'm a newbie and would need some advice for Jira Service Management, in particular for the options to limit the project visibility in the portal to selected projects. 

I understood that the simplest way to do this is by changing the customer permissions of the single projects to "Service project access = Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins". This works, but requires customers to be added manually to the projects and doesn't allow the customers to share their issue with participants that have not been added previously to the project, too.

Is there any better solution that requires less manual work? Could access be limited to certain domains on project level, too? Or could dedicated project roles + global permissions be the solution? Or an automation? 

As you see I'm a bit lost :-) Help please!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Ines

p.s.: Since there are no error messages when somebody tries to open a new ticket via email without being an "approved" customer or someone adds not approved participants in cc, we thought of keeping the email address of the project hidden and to use just the portal for this project.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hi @Ines 

I found some docs that will help you... You will be able to learn and see how you can configure customers permissions in Jira Service Management ;) 

It's possible to configure customers with domain from their emails, but you will need a jira site admin for that... 

I hope this will help.
Dam. 

Ines May 12, 2023

Hello Dam!

Thank you very much for your help and the useful documents!
In the meantime I had a call with the Atlassian support team and we figured out that messing around with roles and project permissions is not a good idea since it created some errors. The default roles are essential and they have very deep roots.

The only way is to change the service project access settings to "Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins". Unfortunately then each and every user has to be added manually by an agent (even if the domain is approved) and this makes it difficult to handle since we don't have a defined list of possible users to add them in advance. Also sharing issues get's complicated since it works just amongst customers already added to the single projects.

Seems that the only option would be an upgrade to an enterprise licence which allows more that one site :-(

Thanks and with kind regards from Italy

Ines

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events