Last login information in JIRA is not being updated

Andy Hurley January 31, 2020

We have a datacentre instance of JIRA with Crowd as the credential service. In the past 2 weeks we have started having a problem where the last login information is not being updated.

Checking the database shows that the db is being updated (e.g. updated_date is showing today for most users) but login.lastLoginMillis is not updating since the 17th Jan. The date here is the same for all users so it looks like something happened on the 17th that is impacting the update of this field.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and have any suggestions where to look?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Hurley February 13, 2020

I'm answering my own question here but I thought I should put it out there in case anyone else ever sees something similar.

As we had been having trouble with configuring users in JIRA we decided we should reboot crowd (has been running for 2 years without reboot). When we did this everything went to hell in a handbasket. Many could not log in to JIRA but those who still had a valid login token were ok.

After much head scratching and not a little panic I discovered that the user directory configuration in JIRA for connection to crowd was all blank so JIRA could not connect to crowd. This had been set up by a third party when our environment was built and we did not have the password so these are the steps I followed to fix it:

• Go in to crowd and on the applications screen set a new password for JIRA to connect with.
  • As a local admin user in JIRA (I had to enable the internal directory first which had been disabled in the past due to problems with clashing users in internal and crowd directories) go to the crowd user directory edit screen.
  • Set the URL for crowd, the application name and password we just added in crowd, clear the proxy fields which kept being incorrectly auto populated and submit.

Suddenly everything was working again including the last login dates in JIRA.

I have no idea what caused this information to disappear from JIRA but it has clearly been missing for a while and JIRA was hobbling along despite this, including adding and removing users via crowd and syncing passwords. Not sure how it could be doing that but it all stopped working when we rebooted crowd.

0 votes
Fidelidade JIRA Admin July 29, 2022

Hi Andy,

Your post is interesting. I am currently facing a similar problem.
But the point is that we don't use the crowd. We have the Jira server and the last login details are not being updated for the twenty days in jira but in the database everything is ok.
Do you know how I can overcome this issues?
Thank you for your help.

Emanuel Lima

Suggest an answer