Labels - Why do Labels in one project show in others?

Misty Meyers June 21, 2021

Hello!
I am struggling with the way the Labels field in Jira seems to behave. I just know there has to be a way to fix the issue. 

Problem: When in Test Summary for Zephyr, I see every Label created in all our Jira Projects. (Sadly there is a ton of noise!) Why do I see labels from project A when I am in project B?  I have to add specific label values every time to only see those relevant to project B.

What am I missing in my set-up or am I?

Thank you!

Misty

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Labels are not project artefacts, they are global objects.

Sorry, that was a bit short. 

If you want project-specific labels, you can add more labels fields and limit the context of them to just the project that should be using the labels for.

If you want to control the list of labels though, don't use labels fields, go for a (multi-)select-list instead.

So there is no way to limit which are viewed where?

I know I can create a custom field, but that won't help in the Zephyr reporting tools. IT would be nice if I could set a filter in a project and it remain, but we all know it's not that fancy! :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

No, because the point of a label is that it can be used globally!

Like Misty Meyers likes this

The project the noise stems from was not well thought out. So here I am! 

Thank you for your input!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

You can consider using components instead in this case as they are then constrained to your project.

As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  mentioned, labels are global unfortunately.

Misty Meyers June 24, 2021

Thankfully, we do use that field being used correctly!

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events