Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Knowledge base for Service Desk in Jira

Hey, everyone. I was trying to figure out how to create a KB for our customers where they could find answers to FAQs and how-to articles. At first I can create a KB in confluence, but I was lost in information so I just went to our company Service Desk in Jira and found there is a created Knowledge base, with no articles, but it`s created. When I go to articles category in this knowledge base, I see there is a button "Create article"'. Do I get it right that if I use it and create articles, they will be available for our customers via Service Desk. What about confluence? Are articles created automatically in confluence? Or I have to create a space in confluence first. If I need to create a space in confluence for this, how to restrict customer access only to this space? It would be great if you could explain in steps how to create a KB. I read these articles from Atlassian:  https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-a-knowledge-base-so-customers-can-serve-themselves/

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/set-up-a-knowledge-base-with-confluence-server-1018775515.html

But it is still unclear to me how to do it. Please help me

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Sep 18, 2022

@Oxana Ermolaeva If your service desk already has a Confluence space attached to it for KB articles any article (page) you create in that space will show up in your portal.  If you create a couple of articles you can search for them in the portal to make sure that you can see them.  The space permissions should be set up by default when you create the space in the service desk and will allow customers logged into the service desk portal to see the articles.

Hi @Brant Schroeder . Thank you for your reply. So, I am gonna create articles in my service desk space in Confluence and my customers will be available to see these articles in Jira, right? I want to know for sure if they will be able to read articles only of service desk space right? Not other my spaces? I would also like to ask you how to make a main page with links to FAQs and other main articles? And how to make it visible in Jira as well? Since in Jira I have only a list of all my articles and a search bar. 

Brant Schroeder Community Leader Sep 19, 2022

@Oxana Ermolaeva Customers will only be able to see the space connected to the service desk.  How you structure the information in Confluence and display it on a main page is up to you.  

Like Oxana Ermolaeva likes this

Suggest an answer