Kanban Backlog Not Available

Paul Hartness January 3, 2018

I'm using JIRA Software Server 7.6 and I don't get the option to enable the Kanban backlog.  The configuration page for the board's columns does not contain a panel to enable the backlog

4 answers

1 vote
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

Hi Paul

Probably a Dark Feature is missing.

Go to the Dark Features System Administration Page:
https://<yourserver>/secure/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa

Check your enabled Dark Features. These two Features need to be enabled. 

• com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.enabled
    (enables the kanban board backlog)
  • com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.epics.and.versions.enabled
    (enables the epic and version tab for the kanban board backlog)

kanplan.enabled.png
When I had updated from Jira 7.2.1 to Jira 7.7.1, the first of these two Dark Features (kanplan.enabled) was missing and the Kanban Backlog was not configurable.

Ties de Goeij February 26, 2018

Hello Leonard, Paul,

Having the same problem as described above. Updated Test platform from 7.2 via 7.4 to 7.8, Kanban backlog works as expected. Prod platform directly from 7.2 to 7.8, Kanban backlog is not visible. Also not able to add a Sprint Goal to a sprint. Checked the Dark Features, they are identical to the screenshot above. What am I missing? Maybe a reboot of the Jira server?

0 votes
Athanasios Bladis August 28, 2018

Is there an alternative for the Backlog in Kanban Board in the previous version 7.3.8?

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Hi Paul,

Click on ellipsis on your Kanban Board -> Board Settings

You will be able to see the Kanban Backlog and please follow this link for more details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-your-kanban-backlog-856846180.html

let me know how it goes. I f it doesn't work I will be more than glad to help more.

Paul Hartness January 4, 2018

I've been to the board settings and checked (as per the documentation) the columns tab but I don't see the area described as the Kanban backlog.  I don't have the option to drag any status onto a Kanban backlog area to enable it. 

KanbanBoardConfig.PNG

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

(Sigh) I can see that on the screenshot. I have my personal Cloud account and that's how I found it. 

I think you should open a ticket with Atlassian because the feature should be available on the version you installed.

ok, I think I will.  Thanks for all your help mate

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

My pleasure Paul! I wish I could help more. It looks to me like a bug on this version. Was your install successful? No errors on the logs?

I believe so but I didn't install it. I've raised a ticket now so hopefully Atlassian can shed some light

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

I will appreciate if you can share with us Atlassian's fix so that we know for future reference.

sure thing

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi Paul

After upgrading our Test System from Jira 7.2.1 to Jira 7.7.1, I have the same problem.
The Kanban Backlog Panel is not visible (same as your screenshot shows).

However, last year (2017) in August, when 7.4.2 was the lastest stable release, we had upgraded our same Testsystem from 7.2.1 to 7.4.2, and the Kanban Backlog Panel WAS VISIBLE!
At that time I was not happy with the release, so we did not do the upgrade and we reset our Test System back to 7.2.1.

Has Atlassian opened an ticket? (if yes, can you post it?) - It seems as if others don't have this issue, so maybe (if we're lucky) a stepwise upgrade from 7.x.x -> 7.4.x -> 7.7.x might work.

In the next two weeks I don't have the time to do that test however. I'll inform when I have more information, but for the time being, I have more important matters and Jira Version 7.7.1 seems another NO-GO Release.

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

Hi Paul,

Did you or your JIRA Admin check the Add-ons to make sure that all the modules are enabled?

Which add-on do I need to enable?  I've had a look and I cant see anything of relevance

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

I was asking you actually if you checked your modules. Let me check it for you.

Thanks, I've had a look and I cant see anything that needs enabling or anything that is enabled that looks like a Kanban backlog feature :-(

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

ok just making sure that is not the issue. I am checking in jira....

Suggest an answer