Jira v5: Strange custom field behavior

Viktor Mirzoyan June 17, 2012

Just recently upgraded to Jira v5.0.6. I previously had developed a custom field type plugin which had javascript embedded in the description field. After the upgrade, any changes to the description field don't reflect in the actual custom field ( ie, when creating issue/viewing issue). Even after removing all text from description field, the custom field still behaves the same as when it had javascript in the description field.

I should mention the changes DO reflect in the issue fields configuration screen right after I update the change. But in the create issue pop up, the custom field doesn't reflect the update.

Any reason for this?

4 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2012

Have you edited the description in the Field Configuration allocated to the project as well as in the actual custom field?

Viktor Mirzoyan June 19, 2012

Thanks, that seemed to be it. Do both description fields need to be edited? Seems like the field configuration is the only thing that actually makes a difference.

J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2012

I think the description that goes with the custom field itself is like a default. When you add a new custom field it is added to all the field configurations with its description, but after that because each field configuration is independent then changing the custom field description does not update the description in the existing field configurations.

(We came across this when trying to fix a typo - had to change it in every field configuration as well as the field description!)

If you create a new field configuration it will use the description from the custom field (unless you copy an existing field configuration) so I'd change both.

Tim Powers August 31, 2015

THANK YOU!! This has been driving me nuts for days. I have been deleting and re-creating fields to workaround this issue... I never realize that the Field Configuration was what things were keying off of... and that it wasn't changing.

1 vote
Ibrahim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2014

I've made a feature request to see if we can make this more intuitive within JIRA.

JRA-40782

The full documentation on custom field description behavior is found here: Configuring a Custom Field.

Adding a snippet of the documentation here as well.

Changing the description of a custom field

Not changing the description in a field configuration means that any changes you make to a custom field's description are not seen.

JIRA allows you to define a description of a custom field, and if the field configuration descriptions are left empty then the original description text will appear when you create or edit an issue, and as help text in the Issue Navigator. However you can also define different description texts in each field configuration and this will override the original field description text.

For example if a custom field "My Field" is defined with a description of "This is my field" and no field configuration changes are made, then the displayed text will be "This is my field" as expected. If field configurations are used and a description "This is my excellent field" is set for the custom field in the field description, then the displayed text will be "This is my excellent field".

0 votes
Tom Towkach December 12, 2012

I would not use the popup in production right now. I would switch to the old style. To do that, add the following javascript to your announcment banner:

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.$("#create_link").removeClass("create-issue");
</script>

Does that change thing for the better for you?

It's not as good as the new way, but...

0 votes
VIJI JOHN July 17, 2012

I'm still having trouble with this. I've created a number of custom fields with formatted descriptions, eg. uses heading and {color} tags. These appear correctly formatted on the custom fields screen.

When creating a new Custom Field Configuration, none except one of these custom field descriptions come through. Modifying the description of the Configuration does not allow formatting tags.

Suggest an answer