• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira - sidebar missing

Hi Team,

We are currently facing an issue with Sidebar, suddenly it is not displaying in Jira. We are currently using  Jira version 7.7.1. as far there is no recent update made and it was working good for more than one year. 

Please help in resolving this

Regards,

Aravind S

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Dec 30, 2020

Hi @Aravind

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Have you had a look already in logs like atlassian-jira.log?
Sometimes this is of a deeper failure with Jira why it might make sense to analyze the server logfiles.

Does this happen in several browsers for several PC?
Does only your user account have the missing sidebar or is it affecting all users?

Please also check if you recently upgraded Apps that could interfere with the sidebar.

Regards,
Daniel

can you please mention the path/method to check atlassian-jira.log ?

Does this happen in several browsers for several PC? - Yes I tried in different browser & Different computer.
Does only your user account have the missing sidebar or is it affecting all users? - For all 10 users facing the issue.

Please also check if you recently upgraded Apps that could interfere with the sidebar. - There is no recent updates made

Thanks Daniel.

I have checked the logs "atlassian-jira" logs but most of the logs are INFO and common. No special warning logs available .

Is this also happening after a clean restart of Jira and did you try to put Jira into safe-mode (probably during off-peak hours after office closing and only for a short time)?

I didn't try restarting the Jira services. let me try that and comeback.

Is there anything else I need to do before restarting the Jira services? 

Yes, better communicate users a downtime. It's just fair.

Jira is not running as a service so i just used the "stop_service" batch file for stopping jira.

services got stopped . after some time I tried to start it using the "start_service" batch file but still i am not getting the default webpage of jira "localhost:8080". 

Please share you comments .

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 03, 2021

If I get this correctly your question is how to start Jira.
This depends on your implementation (start-jira.bat/start-jira.sh or a Service).
It is hard to understand from "the outside" which Community is what you are seeing when not knowing the system.
If documentation did not help please check log files on how to proceed (in case there is an error logged work it out and resolve it, then restart Jira).

Thanks daniel . Now service is started but still the sidebar is not appearing. In troubleshoot options I could see the attached error. Jira Error 3.PNG

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 04, 2021

This suggests there is more than just one open topic with your installation. Collation is set to a wrong value from the looks and generally the version reached end of life.

Worst news to come up with: this does not tell why the sidebar is missing.
What translates to I cannot tell you more right now than the last time.

Is there any chance to upgrade to a later version? You should test that first in a lower environment, though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you