Jira not generating notifications for issue creation.

Drew June 29, 2018

I have checked all of my settings and Notification Helper, but despite all of this I am still not getting notifications upon issue creation, Any tips on how to start troubleshooting this? NotificationHelper.PNGNotificationLog.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Drew, 

Victor is correct. 

Another way to handle this is to create an Automation Rule. Within the project, go to Settings - you should then see the dark blue navigation bar on the left. look for "Automation". Click on that. In the upper right, click "Add Rule". choose "Custom Rule" at the top. Click Continue. "When this happens..." choose "Issue Created" click Add. Then under "Then do this..." click "Alert User" and type your name. Then click Save. You would then probably want to add a new queue in the project just for these so you can keep track of them - Something like "All open issues" Note you will only be notified for issues created within this particular project not all projects. Hope this helps. 

Drew June 29, 2018

This did help, I am now getting notifications on issue creation, thanks! Do you happen to know how to get it so that JIRA will email me when a notification comes up? I sometimes get emails, but not always and I cannot seem to find the place where this action is defined. In the automation section I saw an option for an email to be sent, but that my only options for recipients were Reporter and Customers Involved. 

Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Drew, 

Yes, that email function within Automation is not so good. For email notification upon issue creation I am still using a post function added to the workflow. There is a post function called "Email issue". I usually add this to the very first transition after Create in the workflow. This too is a bit clunky and will take you some time to sort through. You would have to edit the workflow attached to the correct request type / issue type. I hope this helps. 

Drew June 29, 2018

Fantastic! As long as I have a solution I am happy. Just knowing that my situation is not unique that that others are having to jury-rig solutions helps a ton. Thanks again! 

Joe Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2018

Thank you Drew. All the best.

Joe

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

Drew,

Is this for your service desk or JIRA?

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

Service Desk. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

Drew,

In the project, what is your role? From your explanation, you want to receive notification when issues are created? Created by you or when customers create issues?

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

I am project lead, and I want to receive notifications whenever customers create issues. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

Drew,

There's no project lead in service desk as far as i know. Service Desk is ran by a Service Desk admin. The service desk is created by a JIRA admin. 

To see tickets, you need to be an agent.

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

I think I may be confused about the difference between JIRA and JIRA Service desk. The project I am working on is a Service Desk Project within JIRA, and I am an admin in JIRA. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

drew,

Who set up the service desk project? Whoever created the service desk will automatically be an admin in the service desk. Agents and Admins in service desk consume a license. Customers don't.

Do you've a license in Jira Service Desk?

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

If I go to people under the project I can see that I am a member of Administrators and Service Desk Team. This is what I see when I go to Settings > People. Settings-People.PNG

We do have a license. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

Drew,

In your JIRA, Look into your notification scheme. Edit the scheme and add yourself as a single user. That should fix it.

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

I did some more testing, and when another agent creates an issue I will get the notification, but not when the issue is created through the customer portal. Here is a screenshot from the latest test.

NotificationHelper-2.PNGThanks for all your help so far. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

drew,

Are you satisfied with the results you just mentioned?

Would you like all customers to see all tickets created?

Victor

Drew June 29, 2018

Not yet, the main issue still persists, when an issue is created from the portal I do not get a notification. This seems really absurd to me since the notification helper seems to confirm that I should be getting notifications at least 3 ways. 

Suggest an answer