Jira integration in slack channel

Danielle July 27, 2021

I've connected Jira To slack following https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-jira-cloud-for-slack/ and created a connection between a Jira project and a Slack channel. I left the standard settings unchanged.

Next I've invited Jira bot to the channel i've connected the jira project to. However I create a ticket we recieve no messages for new tickets in Slack. 

When I try to set up more requirements it also doesn't send any messages. What am I missing? 

SEND A MESSAGE TO THE CHANNEL WHEN
Issue Is [CREATED] 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2021

Hi Danielle,

I understand that you have setup an integration between Jira and Slack, but are not seeing notifications from the Jira app in Slack when issues are created.  I tried to recreate this same problem, but when I did this I do see the notifications when Jira issues are created (both from Slack and within Jira directly).  I also didn't change any of the defaults settings here when setting up the configuration.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 2.11.38 PM.png

I tried to take a closer look at your Jira Cloud site, but I was not able to see any Jira Cloud products associated with this particular account.  Could you let me know if you are using a Jira Cloud or possibly a Jira Server/Data Center site?  If this is a Jira Cloud, please let me know what the URL for this site is.

While we have a basic setup guide for this integration in Integrate Jira Cloud and Slack there really should not have to be any other configuration needed to make this work relatively quickly out of the box.

I am also interested to learn more about the environment here.  Could you let me know the type of project here (Team managed or Company managed)?  I can think of a few possibly, but rarely configuration options to Jira that might have some effect here in terms of notifications sent to integrations, but I hesitate to explore those possibilities without first knowing a bit more about your environment here.

Thanks,

Andy

Danielle July 30, 2021

Hi Andy, 

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you have setup an integration between Jira and Slack, but are not seeing notifications from the Jira app in Slack when issues are created. 

That's correct! 

We use Jira Cloud (Free) company-managed, our url is https://innoveere.atlassian.net/. I've found and followed the 'integrate jira cloud and slack' page when enabling the setting / trying to solve this before i've reached out. I agree, the implementation seem to be really straight forward and not to much (but just enough!) settings to chose from. 

I've removed en reabled the connection between the project in Jira and slack. Also no luck. I've enabled all statusses and when I do this it will provide me with updates about a status-change of the tickets. However still no update when a ticket is created. (That is the goal of this setup). 

Thanks, 

Danielle

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2021

Thanks for letting me know those details.  The fact that you can get notifications of status changes makes me feel like this could be a setting within the specific Jira project itself.

Is this a team-managed project?  Or a Company managed project?  There are some more details on the difference in What are team-managed and company-managed projects

In a team managed project, I'm not sure there is a way to setup that Jira project in the way you described.  But for a Company managed project, it would be possible for you (or any other Jira admin) to have customized the workflow of this project.  For example, if the create transition of that workflow was altered in some way, say to remove a default post-functions such as "Fire Issue created event", then the issues can still get created in Jira, but other integrations like Slack can't pick up on these events in order to do other actions, like update Slack or execute a webhook to another service, etc.

Configure advanced issue workflows has some good info about checking to see what the workflow of this project would look like.

Another step you could try here is to see if you can integrate Slack with a completely new project in Jira.  This could be a helpful troubleshooting step to better understand what might be different here between projects in Jira. 

Try checking those and let me know the results.

Andy

Danielle August 30, 2021

Hi Andy,

Sorry for my late response, had a couple days off. 

We use Jira Cloud (Free) company-managed, our url is https://innoveere.atlassian.net/.

It had indeed something to do with the event trigger! I'm trying to figure out why though somehow we have a custom trigger which slack doesn't understand. Thank you for pointing me into the right direction! 

Kind regards, 

Danielle

Suggest an answer