Jira error: user is not assigned user to a role in application.

Muhammad Umair Bhatti February 19, 2019

Hi, We seem to be having issues with getting some external users set up on our Company Jira.

We can add the user but when they try to sign in and create an account with their company email ID, they get an error: "The Signed in user username@email.com is not assigned to a role for the application. The user cannot seem to make an account and sign in. The workaround seems to be to add their personal email address to give them access. Due to security reasons this is not recommended. Below I have attached a picture of the issue.

This issue seems to be for all the members of this one external company we work with except one of their user.

Jira user error1.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pavan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

@Muhammad Umair Bhatti we can add external users to JIRA Cloud, I done before, Please check the settings of the invite user, and make sure that while inviting the user are you adding to any default group like, "JIRA USERS", check the below links that might help you, and also check the permission of project, so that they can access the project. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/configure-site-access-744721636.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/invite-edit-and-remove-users-744721624.html

Ashley O'Connell July 8, 2019

We are having this issue for one of our customers. We have multiple customers that are logging in without issue. What else could cause this problem? 

Gregory McMenimen August 26, 2020

I am having the same issue.  We have verified our domain but they are getting this message.  All others work great.  Just one person is getting this message,  Any way to resolve this?  The suggestions above are not working.

Colin McDermott_GLiNTECH October 19, 2020

Do confirm that the user concerned has access to a jira group. i.e. Jira-users

Likewise ensure that they have application access to jira-core or jira-service-desk

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/add-new-users/

If that fails. confirm that the user concerned is identical to the others. Then open a support request with Atlassian. 

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

We ran into this same error, only the solution we discovered was that because we are using SAML authentication, any user account coming from our domain needed to exist in one or more of the groups we were syncing from Azure AD for user provisioning.

I thought I'd post that here in case that might be what is happening for others.

Fernanda de Souza Thaumaturgo October 23, 2019

It's happing with me, but i don't have the Azure AD.

What do you think that could be the problem?

0 votes
Luis Lobo June 27, 2020

To solve it I had to go to Azure's Cloud Atlassian Cloud application. Menu Users and groups. Add my user there, and then, I could log in

Suggest an answer