Jira Service Desk users and Boards

Thomas Papougnot March 11, 2019

Dear community, 

It's a big (and bad) surprise for me to see today that users with servicedesk access can't see any board, even if it's built with service desk projects only. 

Did I made a mistake in the configuration ? It's a nonsense for me that these users can access the project details like the queues, the customer list, the reports, but not a board...

I thought that it was because of the permission schemes that could come from a software scheme copy but it still doesn't work with servicedesk schemes for all involved projects. 

Please, can someone confirm that servicedesk users can't access any board (even located on a user account) ?

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Thomas

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2019

UPDATED>>> To save others time in the future from having to read the gory details below I will offer the following conclusion - JSD agents will not be able to access any Boards unless they have a JSW license. Boards are a component of JSW. However, they can access Dashboards. Read on for the full discussion....

@Thomas Papougnot , Customers will not be able to see boards or dashboards as they need access to the application which is a paid license whereas Customers are non-paid. However, if the users have say a JSW license then they can be given browse/comment permissions (collaborators). Also of course Agents of JSD will most certainly be able to access boards/dashboards that are shared w/ them and of course they will have access to the queues by default.

Thomas Papougnot March 12, 2019

Hello Jack, thanks a lot for your very quick answer ! 

Yes I make a clear distinction between customer accounts, JSD agents and JSW users. 

From what you say I deduce that boards can work for JSD agents and it's a relief, I must have an issue in my configuration. 

The board is located on my admin account. It contains two JSD projects. I use a user with a JSD license to test and check the access. With the permission helper I confirm that my test user can browse tickets from both projects. 

But when I try to connect to the board with this account I get the error message : 

"Sorry, you can't view this page
This page is only available to JIRA Software users. If you think you should be a JIRA Software user, you should ask your administrator to give you application access to JIRA Software."

If I give software license to my test user, he can access the board. 

I don't know where to check, any idea ? Thanks for the help :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2019

Have you looked at the board share permissions? Be sure that you are sharing with the group that the JSD user is in and not only the Jira SW user group. 

Board settongs General, share

Thomas Papougnot March 12, 2019

@Jack Brickey yes the board is shared with jira-servicedesk-users group in which is my test user, and with the project where the user has Service Desk Team role.

Thomas Papougnot March 15, 2019

Hello @Jack Brickey 

I just had an answer from Atlassian Cloud Support : 

The reason your agents cannot view the boards is that they are a Jira Software feature. Boards are more related to Agile development in Software where they don't really exist in ITIL/ITSM used by Jira Service Desk.

So I'm afraid if you would like to use boards they will also require a Jira Software license.

This is very annoying in my case. I manage a process which mixes many dev teams with their own SW project, all connected to a SD project as an interface with customers. 

The dev members act as Agents in many cases and some jira's restrictions (like for boards) force me to double license these devs members with SW and SD licenses, which makes the cost explode.

Configuring Jira to avoid double licensing becomes very complex for me and is less user friendly for users.

If you could confirm that from your side you are able to give access to boards for some JSD only users, I will talk again with support to understand why I can't. 

Thanks !

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2019

Thanks for the updat. I will need to run a test using a JSD only licensed user. Most of my agents in fact do have JSW licenses but I think I have one or two without. I will get back to you.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2019

indeed this is the case. I just tested w/ one of my JSD ONLY users. While they can see "dashboards" they cannot see "Boards". 

access.jpg

Thomas Papougnot March 19, 2019

Thank you so much for your help and your reactivity @Jack Brickey !

Suggest an answer