Jira Server REST API to get all groups

Hi,

We are using Jira to manage users and groups for Bitbucket and Bamboo and as a result have a potentially very large number of groups.

In order to find groups in Jira, we are using this API: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/groups.

This appears to be quite UI-centric, given the resource is "/rest/api/2/groups/picker" and the description is "This is mainly for use with the group picker, so the returned groups contain html to be used as picker suggestions".

Please can you confirm if there is another API that is meant for consumption from other applications? If there isn't, given that Jira allow groups to be managed centrally for other applications and those other applications have REST APIs to manage permissions using the replicated Jira groups, we feel there should be a robust API around groups in Jira?

I wouldn't mind if this API was paged like a lot of other Atlassian APIs, but crucially there should be a single API for me to hit to retrieve either all groups, or groups that match a filter - and that should either contain the complete response, or be paged and give me page information in the response in order to fetch the remaining ones.

If this API doesn't exist, please can you let me know how we can get this added as it's important for us to have this.

Thanks,
Mike.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I do see this mentioned in the REST API docs:

The number of groups returned is limited by the system property "jira.ajax.autocomplete.limit"

However, as mentioned before this all seems very UI-centric and not really intended for consumption by other apps, which we definitely need given Jira can be a central source for the Atlassian stack.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

172 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you