Jira - Hide Priority field from BUG tickets

Bryan Wakefield January 26, 2019

I was tasked with creating two custom fields for Jira Bug tickets. The two custom fields are: Priority and Severity

I then removed the default Priority field from the Bug creation view. However, when the ticket is created, the default Priority still shows up in the ticket screen - see screenshots

My question is this. How do I hide the default Priority field from Bug tickets only?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshots here:

Priority Issue
Bug ticket

2 answers

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2019

Hello Bryan,

Some fields like priority are hard coded system fields in the view screen and are not driven by screen schemes, so they can only be either visible or hidden.  Currently you can hide the fields via the field configuration, noting that this hides the field across any screen per that issue type.  

We also have the following Feature request tracking interest in implementing another option to change this behavior, that I would recommend adding your vote to help track continued interest in the feature:

Regards,
Earl

Shawn Mahoney March 11, 2019

This is incorrect.  Even if you hide these fields in the field configuration applicable to the screens, it will always be present on the view screen.  There is no way I have found to remove these fields from the view screen for the issue type.

CJ Edwards January 16, 2020

Once you hide the field in field configuration you must ensure that configuration is being used in your field configuration scheme.

I can confirm that this does indeed work

Cheers

CJ

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2019

Hello Bryan,

You are correct. The priority of issues keeps displaying as the default in the view screen even if you remove it.

We have created two feature requests to change this behavior, however, it was not implemented because of the low number of requirements on it:

Remove "Priority" field completely from JIRA Issue details

As a JIRA Admin, when I remove the "Priority" field on an issue's View screen, I expect it to not appear on that screen so that my configuration matches the user's experience

That been said, could you please let us know why do you have decided to use a custom field to prioritize your issues instead of using the default priority field?

Additionally, this behavior is already fixed in the new issue view of JIRA which you can turn on by clicking in your profile picture > Personal Settings, so maybe it could be an option for you.

We will be waiting for your answer.

Suggest an answer