Jira Epic Automation

Dionei Piazza September 14, 2020

Hello.

I created these 3 automations for an Epic to advance in my flow depending on the status of their respective issues.

According to annexes, the automations are:

1 - SetFutureEpic (transitions the epic to IN BACKLOG): It is triggered when all epic issues are in the backlog.

2 - SetLaterEpic (transitions the epic to IN DISCOVERY): It is triggered when "some" issue of the epic is transitioned in some status of the Upstream frame (discovery).

3 - SetNowEpic (transitions the epic to IN PROGRESS): It is triggered when "some" epic issue is transitioned to some status of the Downstream frame.

Today, this automation set works well!

But then, what's my problem?

Let's say that the SetNowEpic automation has been performed. OK! So my Epic advances in the workflow. So far so good!

Now, if this same Epic has an issue being moved in Upstream, the SetLaterEpic automation is performed and Epic "goes back" to Upstream (Discovery). And that is exactly what should not happen. Once in "IN PROGRESS" an Epic cannot go back to "DISCOVERY".

Note: I tried to create all the rules within just one automation using IF / ELSE conditions. But they don't appear within "FOR Epic (parent)".SetNowEpic.PNGSetLaterEpic.PNGSetFutureEpic.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2020

A check for the epic's status in addition to the child stories to exclude those specific edge-cases. 

Dionei Piazza September 15, 2020

Hello @Haddon Fisher ! Thanks for the reply!

I didn't quite understand your response. Could you give me more details?

Hi @Haddon Fisher 

Could give me an example please?

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

Excuse the different names for statuses and the slight visual discrepancy, I am running JIRA server.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 9.26.25 AM.png

I've added two things to your setup:
1) The second component makes sure that the issue being transitioned has an epic. If it doesn't, then there's no point in continuing.

2) The second component in the "For Epic" branch checks the status of the epic itself; if it is outside of the current "frame" it would fail this check and not move.

think you could essentially repeat the last three components to check for the other two frame conditions, but I haven't tested that.

Like Dionei Piazza likes this

Hi @Haddon Fisher 

It looks like a good solution! And thank you so much for all your time and explanation!

Like Haddon Fisher likes this

Hello community!

After the tips from friend @Haddon Fisher  and some more adjustments, I managed to solve my scenario. Below is the image of the solution for those who have the same scenario.

Note: I had to create a node for each "For Epic (parent)" rule. I tried in some way to solve the whole rule in a single node, but the automation of Jira did not solve it well. And yes! Now everything is ok!

JiraAutoSolution.png

Like Haddon Fisher likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events