Jira Core, Software, or Service Desk?

Sarah French
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 13, 2019

My group is looking for a database to assist with change management. In a nutshell, we need a way to report issues and tag them with data, such as baselines, systems, priority. The issue then needs to go through a workflow for analysis and resolution of the problem.  The problems are usually resolved with a new software or hardware release.

I am having trouble figuring out which version of Jira is best for this - Core, Software, or Service Desk? I have been thinking that Core would be sufficient, as we mostly need a simple way to report and track the resolution of issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers

0 votes
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

It sounds like you are searching for a ticketing tool which would be Service Desk. If your teams are running software development, then you need JIRA Software.

Another question is are you running AGILE?

JIRA

1. JIRA Software - Software Development tool - plan, track, & release software
  2. JIRA Core - Business
  3. JIRA Service Desk - IT & Customer Service - create & manage service desk operations
0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

Hi Sarah

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. You are asking a good questions, deciding for the best Jira variant sometimes is not easy. :)

Jira Core is basically "just Jira". issue tracking with workflow capabilities.

Jira Software gives you some tools for agile Software development and project planning such as Kanban and SCRUM Boards. This comes with managing Issues in sprints and versions as well.

Jira Service Desk is very good for communicating with customers and using Jira as helpdesk solution.

Here is an official document: Jira Software: Which Jira Do I Need?

Fom reading your requirement I got a hunch Jira Software is what you will need. And if you later on have more requirements towards Jira you can even can add Jira Software / Core / Service Desk to a existing Jira. :D

Cheers
Niklas

0 votes
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Hello @Sarah French,

From what you written I understood that you are not going to use it for development so I think that JIRA Core is pretty much sufficient for you. Lets look at picture below:

core vs. soft.pngAlso you can look at these articles: 

https://www.clearvision-cm.com/blog/jira-software-or-jira-core-4-questions-to-help-you-decide/

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/What-s-the-difference-between-JIRA-Software-and-JIRA/qaq-p/264744

Hope this helps to your decision.

Best regards,

Jakub 

0 votes
Francesc_Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Hi @Sarah French,

If you're talking about change management and problem management I'd recommend you Jira Service Desk. However, using Jira Core or Jira Software can also be adapted to your needs.

In a very brief checklist, you can answer the following:

• Do you need a customer portal for customers opening requests or incidents?
  • If the answer is yes, you need Jira Service Desk.
  • If the answer is no, do you need SLA?
  • If the anser is yes you can use Jira Service Desk or Jira Software with a SLA plugin.
  • Do you need some scrum or kanban boards?
  • If the answer is yes you can use Jira Software. If not, Jira Core might be ypur choice.

There are some more questions but you can start for these.

Hope it works!

Suggest an answer