It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Cloud custom icons for issuetype - how to get good quality?

As we can not yet upload SVG's I wonder what the guidelines for uploading PNG or JPG's are? No matter what I try it still distort and pixelate the images, which is a bit annoying as it looks really bad compared to the crisp SVG's.

2 answers

2 votes
Soane Atlassian Team Apr 04, 2018

Hi Jimi,

After uploading and cropping an image to use as the issue type icon, it is re-sized to 16x16 pixels in Jira. The more details the image has more blurry it gets, so what we can suggest is that you create a larger icon keeping only the main components of the image.

In addition to it, there's the following feature request regarding SVG avatars. You can add yourself as a watcher, comment, and vote to increase its popularity.

* https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-43512

Cheers,
Soane K.

Regardless of the size you upload, Jira resizes icons to 16x16.

Display resolution for icon on a MacBook Pro is 32x32 px. So a 2x scaling is applied to our already resized image.

So it is better to not use custom icons feature. Looking at the implementation, Atlassian don't want anyone to use it any way.

taking into account the target size when designing I believe the end result can be pretty good. I've made some custom icons in the past and I'm happy with how they came out.

Sin título.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you