Jira Cloud custom icons for issuetype - how to get good quality?

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2018

As we can not yet upload SVG's I wonder what the guidelines for uploading PNG or JPG's are? No matter what I try it still distort and pixelate the images, which is a bit annoying as it looks really bad compared to the crisp SVG's.

2 answers

3 votes
Soane
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

Hi Jimi,

After uploading and cropping an image to use as the issue type icon, it is re-sized to 16x16 pixels in Jira. The more details the image has more blurry it gets, so what we can suggest is that you create a larger icon keeping only the main components of the image.

In addition to it, there's the following feature request regarding SVG avatars. You can add yourself as a watcher, comment, and vote to increase its popularity.

* https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-43512

Cheers,
Soane K.

0 votes
Vivek Reghunath March 27, 2019

Regardless of the size you upload, Jira resizes icons to 16x16.

Display resolution for icon on a MacBook Pro is 32x32 px. So a 2x scaling is applied to our already resized image.

So it is better to not use custom icons feature. Looking at the implementation, Atlassian don't want anyone to use it any way.

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2019

taking into account the target size when designing I believe the end result can be pretty good. I've made some custom icons in the past and I'm happy with how they came out.

Sin título.png

Like Influential Eliot likes this
MahanthPrudhvi April 5, 2024

Hi @Iago Docando 

I want to try this custom icon feature. Can you share me any guidelines or size requirements to be followed?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer