JQL query to show team velocity

Laura Franco April 3, 2013

Does GreenHopper save Team Velocity or can I query for Team Velocity using JQL? In writing this question, my thought is that I can query for closed Sprints and then take average Story Points for past few sprints. Does that seem to be the right approach?

The reason I want to query for the data vs. use the Team Velocity report in Greenhopper is that I need to build a more complex report and team velocity is one of the parameters.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Franco April 21, 2013

In order to stop the annoying emails about either accepting an answer or answering my own question, I am answering that there does not appear to be a way to read this data from JIRA database. You have to calculate it yourself.

2 votes
Thom Franklin May 21, 2015

You can vote for GHS-12087As a Scrum Master I would like to make a JQL query for team velocity so can query for closed Sprints and then take average Story Points for past few sprints.  

This would allow me to make relevant automatically updated dashboards for management reports, and JIRA filter reports in Confluence.

1 vote
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2013

Hi Laura - The GH velocity chart should show you a breakdown of velocity over time. See screenshot (I hope it attached properly). You should not have to query for the closed sprints then average story points... that reporting should already be available.

To get to the velocity chart click the report button on your scrum board, then under the board name you should see a dropdown list with "Burndown Chart" (or some other chart type). Click the dropdown menu and select Velocity Chart.

If the screenshot didn't work you can see the image in the GH screenshot-tour: http://www.atlassian.com/software/greenhopper/overview/screenshot-tour

Laura Franco April 6, 2013

Thanks, I know about the Team Velocity report. I am trying to build a different chart where one piece of data that I need is team velocity. Thus I was looking for a way to use SQL query to read the team velocity from Greenhopper if it is stored in the database. Perhaps it is only calculated each time for the team velocity report. That is part of my question. Is it stored, where it can be retrieved programmatically?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Deleted user April 14, 2013

I'm looking for the same thing and haven't figure it out myself. Have you been able to figure out yet?

Laura Franco April 14, 2013

I know how to calculate it myself. I have not found a field that I can query that contains the current team velocity.

Deepak Dalvi April 26, 2016

JIRA team sucks!! they are unable to provide a basic query capability of team velocity to its users

Like Vinod Tadepalli likes this
Antonio Luis February 7, 2020

In the same boat. I am composing a page in Confluence in where I want to populate automatically available velocities for each Sprint and I can't. :(

Any clue on that?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer