It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL query to find child issues of Initiative

Is there a single JQL query which can find all the child issues of a given Initiative? down through the hierarchy including Epics, Issues, etc?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Roi Fine Atlassian Team Jan 21, 2018

Hi Traci,

Getting all child issues of an initiative via JQL is possible since Portfolio 2.10, you can check the details here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolio/portfolio-for-jira-2-10-release-notes-940678731.html#PortfolioforJira2.10releasenotes-childissues

Cheers,

Is it possible to use JQL in the Confluence JIRA Issue/Filter macro to display a table of all the issues of a Portfolio Initiative?  The link above seems to be creating a query in Portfolio itself [ issuekey in childIssuesOf("INIT-001") ], but I can't seem to find equivalent JQL syntax that will work in the Confluence macro to retrieve the issues.

I can insert the initiative itself with the macro, and assuming all the issues also have the label "MyLabel", I can generate the table with 'labels = "MyLabel" '.  But I'd like to directly retrieve the initiative's issues.

This is cloud JIRA with Portfolio and Confluence on.

This sound like you can only query for child issues for one Initiative at a time.  Is this correct?  Is there a way you can put more than one Initative in this query issuekey in childIssuesOf("INIT-001")? So, let's say, I want to see all the Child Issues in INIT-100 and INIT-200, can I query for both of them at the same to show on the screen?  Hope this make sense.  Thanks.

@Mao Lee, childIssuesOf() only takes one argument, but you can do this:

(issuekey in childIssuesOf(INIT-100) OR issuekey in childIssuesOf(INIT-200))

This hasnt worked for me.  I could be doing it wrong.  I have no idea what Portfolio is.  What I want to be able to do is configure a board and put a fast filter in.  I want the query to return all the Storys from an Initiaive (and the associate epics)  I put 

issuekey in childIssuesOf("INIT-001") in the query box, yet it returns no storys when I click on the filter.   

Any help would be appreciated.

Roi Fine Atlassian Team Jun 05, 2019

Hi Andy, 

To make this work you will need to have:

1. Portfolio for Jira Server installed (any version above 2.13)

2. Epics with Parent link assigned to the initiative you are looking for it's children 

3. Stories with Epic link assigned to the linked Epics above

For points 2,3 have a look at this previous post - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-questions/JIRA-Portfolio-epic-link-vs-parent-link/qaq-p/947705

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Like Andy Heinzer likes this

If you use cloud version, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/searching-for-portfolio-for-jira-custom-fields-in-jql-941619014.html would be useful. 

issuekey in childIssuesOf() does not work in cloud version.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

We want to hear from you! How do you use Slack and Atlassian together?

Hi Everyone! My name is Mina and I am on Atlassian’s Ecosystems Marketing team. Our team is focused on our technology partnerships and marketplace apps. One of Atlassian’s partners is Slack, who ...

44 views 0 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you