JQL for customer request type "no match"?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2017

Is there a way to query on the customer request type field being in the "no match" state?

Situation:

When an agent changes the issue type of an issue the customer request type displays "no match". Unfortunately JIRA does not change the actual value to a matching type of the new issue type.

Solution:

I added an automation rule triggered upon status change, comment and creation that will set the correct issue type.

I have to query like this: issuetype = Question AND ("Customer Request Type" is EMPTY or "Customer Request Type" != "question" )

If above rule is true the customer request type will be set to question in the automation task.

Suggestion

This works correctly. However it might be useful to be able to search for all issues without a matching customer request type. I'll create an improvement request if this is not possible yet.

5 answers

3 votes
Tomasz Kopera March 20, 2018

Charlie, my concern to what you wrote "I added an automation rule triggered upon status change, comment and creation that will set the correct issue type." is that when you CHANGE issue type it does not mean you change status (sometimes it's mapped to the same status within workflow for new issue type), not always you add comments as well as creating new issue is not an option when you are not making duplicate but want to change issue type in existing issue.

So my conclusion is that even though your automation makes sense, there is no relevant trigger what will make this solution work 100% for the situation when we simply change issue type of current issue :(

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2018

Hi Thomasz

That's right, this solution is not ideal but that's the best I could come up with.

Normann P. Nielsen (Netic)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

Any solution to this issue?

2 votes
lhassett July 29, 2020

We have run into this problem due to our merging 2 support departments together and changing the names of our request types.

Rather than hiding the old request types, we just deleted them which has left a large number of "No Match" request types but they aren't empty.

I'm able to search for them by using the following JQL Pattern:

project = myProject and issueType = myIssueType and "Customer Request Type" NOT IN (...list of all of my current request types...) and "Customer Request Type" is not empty

Unfortunately, if you've deleted more than one request type, I'm not sure if there's a way to identfiy which requests are which, but I'm working on that problem now. Luckily I know some key words I can search for for our tickets that would qualify issues into one bucket or the other so I can make a pretty good guess. But it would be nice if there was a clear way to show which is which.

1 vote
Sync User March 9, 2018

I did find that issues created in Jira are "EMPTY" and will display in issue searches as blank (even though looking at the Jira issues shows "No Match").   Those issues created in Service Desk show as "No Match" in the issue search which is different than EMPTY (which shows as blank).    These portal issues also show as "No Match" while looking at the actual Jira issue.

There has to be a way to identify these portal issues in a JQL Query search.  EMPTY does not pick them up.

0 votes
Michael Bachmann May 27, 2019

I raised the issue again with Atlassian and they were able to reproduce the bug and created a corresponding issue: JSDSERVER-6395

Michael Bachmann July 30, 2019

This issue has been resolved with Jira Service Desk 4.2, the customer request type is now a mandatory field when moving an issue.

Like # people like this
Thomas Papougnot August 7, 2019

Hi Michael, I still reproduce the issue with Jira Cloud, do you know if there's a ticket for that version we could follow ?

Michael Bachmann August 7, 2019

Sadly no, this seems to have only been reported for Jira Server.

You should probably raise an issue with Atlassian yourself, mentioning the resolved issue for Jira Server.

Thomas Papougnot September 4, 2019

The corresponding issue for JSDCLOUD should be this one : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5901

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2017

Charlie,

i must be misreading your question because it seems like you have already answered it w/in you automation?

what i think you are asking is how to query for all issues that have "no match" in the Customer Request Type.

if that is true the JQL would be project = xxx and "Customer Request Type" is EMPTY of something similar. No Match equates to empty.

I suspect maybe there is more to your question.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2017

Hi Jack

Indeed I resolved my own question. But while doing that I was wondering if a simple query exists to find all issues with a "no match" customer request type

Customer Request Type" is EMPTY is not similar to "no match". The actual value is kept and displayed as "no match"

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2017

When I use the filter i provided the list consists of issues which all have "no match" in the issue view screen as the CRT. Maybe there are instances of NM that are not being caught by this filter. I will need to look at this further.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2017

Probably because those issues were not created through the customer portal but with the regular JIRA create screen. At that moment the issue will only have an issue type and no customer request type. It displays "no match"

Try this:

1. change issuetype of an issue that has a customer request type filled in
    ==> customer request types becomes "no match"
  2. Search for customer request type IS EMPTY
    ==> issue from step 1 is not in the results (in my case at least)
Freddie Joyce August 10, 2017

I'd be really interested to find an answer to this question; I am having the same issue.

Michael Bachmann November 23, 2018

I am having the very same issues in Jira 7.12.3 when an issue is moved between issue types.

In the issue list the old customer request type is shown:
(issue type = "Incident", customer request type = "Service Request")

Issue Navigator - Jira_2018-11-23_16-21-08.png

But in the issue itself it just shows "No match":

[SD-5484] 06_06_32.284-1 - Differenzen - Jira_2018-11-23_16-21-23.png

Jira 7.9.2 behaves slightly different by showing "No match" in the issue list:

Issue Navigator - Jira_2018-11-23_16-25-15.png

In both cases it is not possible to search for these issues except by creating an JQL containing all the incorrect combinations:

issuetype = "Incident" AND "Customer Request Type" = "Service Request"

But that gets very tedious very quickly when having several customer request types per issue type.

The corresponding bug JSDSERVER-5025 was closed as "duplicate" of JSDSERVER-3613 which does not mention this issue but is rather a feature enhancement...

Like Michael Conz likes this
Thomas Papougnot April 25, 2019

Dear community,

Still no solution to identify with JQL the tickets with request type = 'no match' ?

In my case, one of our service desk project is used for product support. It contains more than 10 products, each with at least 5 request types. 

With about a hundred users, agents could have to deal with bad qualified tickets and they have to change the issue type for some of these tickets. 

Sometimes, issuetypes are not in the same workflow, so updating this field is done by moving the ticket from the project to itself, changing only the issue type.

As a result, I often have some tickets with "no match" request types, and I have no way to identify them, instead of browsing them one by one. This situation brakes automations, triggers and statistics...  

A ticket is open https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3613 but I can't find any workaround so I'm asking the community if someone did. 

Thanks for your help. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2019

@Thomas Papougnot , 

this should be a new question but try this...

project = myproject and "Customer Request Type" is empty

Thomas Papougnot April 25, 2019

Thanks a lot as always @Jack Brickey 

I can create a new question if you think I should.

From my side, the field is named "Request Type" in JQL, not "Customer Request Type".

"IS EMPTY" works for tickets created from technical view (I mean not from the customer/portal view), because in this case the field is really empty. 

But for tickets that have been updated (by moving or updating issue type field), the request type field is not considered as empty, and its previous value is displayed on JQL query results.

I can't find any way to detect these cases...  

Suggest an answer