JQL Query for "Total Time in Status">10d for Certain Statuses

Adrian Avalos May 13, 2024

Hello. I'm looking for a jql query that'll return Requirements issue types that have been in status "Submitted" or "Section Review" for more than 10 days. I see Total Time in Status is available for me to use, but when I run the below query no results are returned. Could someone provide a query that could accomplish this or details a to why it might not be working?

project = CSDTH AND issuetype = Requirements AND status in (Submitted, "Section Review") AND "Total Time in Status" ~ ">10d"

6 answers

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 13, 2024

Hi @Adrian Avalos

as you can see from the previous responses, there's a range of Marketplace apps that operate in this space. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 months, so perhaps try a few and see which one fits best for you and your team.

To provide another concrete recommendation, I think you'd like the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called history columns that aren’t natively available, including time in [status(es)], time between [status(es)] and [status(es)], and many, many more.

This is how it looks in action:

time-in-status-v2.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by your history columns, and also use them across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

1 vote
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

Hi @Adrian Avalos 

As suggested by everyone, a third party app can help you extract time in status for your issues.

If you would be interested in the same, do take a look at

Time in Status Reports 

With our app, you can effortlessly track and visualize how much time your tasks spend in each status.

The report in the screen grab below can help you extract issues where time in a particular status is greater than a particular value, which I believe will meet your requirement.

The app has numerous other reports which will help you gain invaluable insights into bottlenecks, efficiency, and team performance.

Hope this helps.

More details here

The app is free for 10 users. Do try it out.

Disclaimer : I work for RVS, the vendor for this app

TIs - Status Duration.PNG

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2024

Hello @Adrian Avalos ,

As the fellow Atlassian marketplace partners have said, I am also here to propose my teams app, which by the way will be the perfect solution for your needs. However, before I go into the features of our app, I would like to suggest a JQL query that might solve your problem.

This JQL query will return the list of requirements in the CSDTH project that are either in the Submitted or Section Review status for more than 10 days. Can you please try it and let me know if it solves your problem?

project = CSDTH AND issuetype = Requirements AND status in ("Submitted", "Section Review") and not status changed after -10d

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to get the results you want from Jira with the native JQL functionality. Most of the data you need, especially when it comes to time-in-status functionality, is best obtained by digging through issue histories. So for this purpose I can recommend Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) app, the oldest and leading Time in Status app in Atlassian Marketplace, which is built by my team at OBSS. It is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

Our app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Timepiece reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts. And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

Visit Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) to explore and enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

0 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
May 14, 2024

Hi @Adrian Avalos  👋

There is no such 'time in status' function in JQL, but you can do it with Time in Status.
For this simply:

1. Select Time in Status Report 
  2. Filter by JQL like project = "name" and issuetype = Task
  3. Filter issues by setting data and time ranges (there you can set >10d for Certain Statuses)
  4. Choose necessary statuses to show. (in my project i don't have Submitted, "Section Review" instead of that i've selected "On Review", "Ready for Testing", "Testing")

Знімок екрана 2024-05-14 о 13.17.41.png

The Total column on the grid summarizes all time in statuses in which issues were during a particular period.

Feel free to reach out to me for any questions or assistance. I'm always happy to help.

Add-on have 30-day free trial, free up to the 10 users and developed by my team. You can also book a live demo - we'll show you the application inside out and answer all your questions.

I hope you find this helpful 🚀 

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
May 13, 2024

Hi @Adrian Avalos

To get time in status reports, I can recommend Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app. For your case, you can have a look at Time in Status for Each Issue report.

For further details, you can have a look at Status Time Reports How to Videos.

• This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, resolution time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).
  • You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a completely free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Reports Free.

If you have any questions, feel free to schedule a demo with us.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Hello @Adrian Avalos 

Do you have a third party "time in status" app added to your Jira instance? Or have your administrators added their own "Total Time in Status" custom field?

If you are using a third party app, do you know which one it is? There is more than one available. Knowing which one you are actually using will help us help you.

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

To add a little to what @Trudy Claspill has already said....

I.e., there is no such 'time in status' function in JQL nor any other related/clever way (that I can think of) that you would be able to do this with JQL "out-of-the-box."

However, I'm pretty sure you can create a scripted field for this with Scriptrunner and there are a number of Atlassian Marketplace add-ons that can produce a report like this (as Trudy alludes).

-dave

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events