It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIra datacenter and Jira ServiceDesk server version

Hi all, 

I work in an organisation where we are currently using a multitude of Atlassian software. 

Crowd (server) handles our integration with AD and connection to Jira (data centre), Confluence (Server) and Bitbucket (Server).  Everything running on-premise. 

Our Confluence is set up so that we can see issues and all that good stuff inside Jira also. This brings me to my question; we want to include Jira ServiceDesk also in our organisation. The team that needs this is comprised of 5-7 people. This means that a Jira ServiceDesk server license would fit perfectly.  

In my research, it seems we are required to purchase a data centre license for the Jira ServiceDesk in order to use it with our Jira since our Jira is using a data centre license. Can this really be true?  

Our confluence can connect and interact perfectly fine with Jira and they do not share the same licensing type. This makes us wonder if the advice we have received is wrong or misunderstood. 

Since we only need 5-7 people and there is no need for an HA setup of the ServiceDesk, it’s much overkill to buy a datacenter license. 

I hope you understand my question. 

1 answer

1 vote

You have understood it correctly.

You need JSD DC licences because you will be installing JSD on a DC Jira platform.

You could do it differently though - if you bought Server licences for JSD, you could run it the same way you have Confluence, as a server, without DC.  The downside of this is that your JSD would be entirely separate from your main Jira, with limited integration (For example, with application links, your JSD and main Jira could link to each others issues, but you won't get the "Agent can create a development issue in main Jira project from an issue in the service desk" function automatically.  Searching would be separate and localised, and so-on)

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you